mercer transportation

Discussion in 'Mercer' started by kw12, Jul 21, 2012.

1. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    Doesn't show much i wasn't about to go get in the cops way or area with it all just happening. Bad enough the employees came out and was walking thru the area lol

JonJon78 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TruckerPete1990

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    Has anyone ever seen this on a settlement?
    2% DISCOUNT 1

4. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    I picked up this 3 stop load I'm on in Haltom City, Texas on Friday. I rarely ever go to Texas but lucked out on this good paying load that was right down the road from where I dropped in Fort Worth heading back to Ohio which is where I frequently run so major plus.

This load is Huge flag poles. Super easy strapped load #27k. Loaded very quick In&out, my type of place.

The guy at the shipper was telling me they exclusively use Mercer and never have problems with deliveries up until the last driver being late two days in a row. I pretty much brushed it off.

So today at my first stop in the Youngstown area the head guy of the installation crew tells me that on Thursday the Mercer driver was supposed to be on site at 0630 and doesn't show till 1030. So his next stop the following day is in Savannah, Georgia and they make sure to confirm with the driver that once again he needs to be onsite at 0630. The same 6 guys on this crew are the same guys that are at all the job sites. This Mercer driver ends up showing up at 0930, once again late so in two days this crew waited 7 hours total for this driver.

It's not like this is a job site where they can do other things while waiting for the truck, without the truck they cant work. All they do is install these flag poles which are about 125 feet tall that come in 4 pieces.

So this morning the Drivers last stop was in Mentor, Ohio at 0630. He had from Friday morning till this morning to drive from Savannah, Georgia and he shows up at 0630 on the dot. Wouldn't you think if you made these guys wait for you two days in a row he would have at least made the effort to arrive this morning at like 0600 and have the load unstrapped and ready to go?

I don't care if I was on my deathbed or had 0 log hours there is no way in hell i would have been 3 hours late on the second delivery after making them wait 4 hours on the first. Absolutely nuts.

According to them this driver claimed he didn't have enough log hours for the first delivery and on the second day they called him more than once in the morning and finally got a answer and could tell he was asleep. Figuring out your log hours is like 5th grade math.

These guys are great. They are staying at the hotel right next to my first delivery which has a Texas Roadhouse next door. They offered me to come eat dinner and have a couple cold ones on them tonight and then tomorrow just ride down to the next stop when they take off as all my stops are in the afternoon.

Definitely a good customer ya wanna keep.

He did say that he 100% will be calling one of the top dogs at Mercer to complain about that driver. Hopefully Mercer boots that guy.

5. Corso1504

Corso1504 Medium Load Member

Sep 11, 2017
    You'd advocate getting a guy fired without knowing his side or even why he s late to both places?? Yea you drank too much Kool aid my friend lol

6. JonJon78

Jul 1, 2018
    Your reading comprehension isn't your strong suit is it.

thaistick and p608 Thank this.
  7. Corso1504

Corso1504 Medium Load Member

Sep 11, 2017
    I can read.. He was out of hours, so why you want him to get fired again? It happens

8. roshea

roshea Road Train Member

There can be many legitimate reasons to be late. Not having enough hours is not one of them, upon accepting a load you "certify" you have enough hours to do it as required. But the even bigger problem this driver exhibited is failing to inform anyone he would be late. Barring a bona-fide emergency there is no reason to not call as soon as you realize you will not be on time. To do so on three consecutive deliveries, and on the same load yet, shows a total lack of respect to all concerned, and yes that includes the rest of the drivers for Mercer. This type of action has cost many a customer over the years.

I have been a terminal manager for two different major carriers, and a dispatcher, operations manager, and finally terminal manager for an LTL company. This spans many years in this job and drivers failing to manage their hours and to report scheduling issues in a timely manner is one of the very biggest headaches "management" has to deal with. The only thing a company can sell is service, and if they fail to provide it as the customer requires then they will look elsewhere.

JonJon's example of a great customer being in jeopardy happens more often than you would realize. I have seen us lose three major customers in PA due to the poor actions of our drivers. All were my "break and butter" customers for a couple years. Communication is critical for all parties in the transportation cycle.

mtoo and JonJon78 Thank this.
  9. JonJon78

Jul 1, 2018
    It doesn't happen to me. Like I said figuring out log hours is 5th grade math. Apparently a little to much for some to handle.

When you make the same crew of 6 wait on you two days in a row, that's acceptable to you? I know, I know it happens, that's BS.

This is how I provide for my self. So yes as far as I'm concerned, I hope he is shown the door. Its inexcusable. A break down is one thing but that isn't the case here.

You think if this customer keeps having to wait on Idiot drivers who are supposed to be "owner operators" here at Mercer, that hes going to be shipping loads here in the future? Hes running a business and has to pay a crew to sit around and do nothing waiting on the driver.

It's got nothing to do with drinking koolaid. I've said it before I like it here, but it's not perfect by and stretch of the imagination.

10. roshea

roshea Road Train Member

was that on a credit or a debit entry? No further explanation?

11. TruckerPete1990

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    Its listed under description where they put the commodity n like other added in charges. And no other explanation on what it is lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.