mercer transportation

Discussion in 'Mercer' started by kw12, Jul 21, 2012.

1. thaistick

thaistick Road Train Member

Dec 7, 2014
    OTR/Thailand
    I've yet to pay $3/gallon for fuel in the last 2 years, but I'm not in Cali like you though...
    Maybe I'm different, but there ain't no way I idle that much. This year and last year, I'll average 275 days in the truck, and there has not been a week when I have idled 4 hours everyday. It just doesn't happen. But I do things like use a solar windshield screen, got a couple fans, park facing east, start my days a little later in the summer as to park a little later, don't run to Miami or Phoenix to minimize it. Like I said before, if I had one I'd probably run the sob all the time. But FOR ME, I don't see the value in it, but I also don't finance anything, so I appreciate the interest on my money more so the luxury of the comfort.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. I glide 47

I glide 47 Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2017
    To each their own as for me and my truck apu is required equipment

back street slider Thanks this.
  4. I glide 47

Jun 3, 2017
    Apu. Won't start calling for the tow truck

5. flatbedsv77

flatbedsv77 Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2015
    Homer Glen, IL
    I have all but give up on moving coils. I find freight from time to time that comes out of the ports thats abut the only time it pays okay....When its a TWIC load and the flip floppers cant get at it. Just a couple weeks ago loads out of Hammond (Niagra LaSalle) where @ $3.00+ this week they are under $3 I keep a notebook with the loads I pulled at what rate so I got a pretty good idea when the CHI office is playing with the rates.

JonJon78 Thanks this.
  6. roshea

roshea Road Train Member

It was meant as an example, obviously people missed the point that fuel wasted idling has other costs beside just that of the fuel burned. That fuel could have been used to generate revenue. Which loads you pick are up to you, some trucks run for 1.10 a mile while others run for 4.00 per mile. I used numbers that were reasonable but nothing is guaranteed. Hey idle your truck 24/7 for all I care, it's not my money being wasted.

7. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    Never seen so many tagged trailers on i40 before. Looks like a bunch of kids had fun.

8. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    Before I got my APU my truck idle almost non stop. With my wife and 2 dogs on the truck the inside stays comfortable. I used to idle the old trucks the same way. Since getting my APU my fuel mileage has not gone up so I'm not seeing any fuel savings at all. Might be seeing a little maintenance savings from not idling the motor since these new motors aren't as good as the old motors. I've driven plenty of million miles Detroit 60 series engines that were idled all their life and when I say idled I mean not shut off until you get home and park the truck. These new motors are like snowflakes.

The daughter still owns part of it but she has nothing to do with it. Word on the street is the partner in LS that got their van division going owns a chunk of Mercer with a couple other people.

9. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    I haven't been able to get a load out of Niagra LaSalle in a couple months. Every time I try the loads get underbid.

10. thaistick

thaistick Road Train Member

Dec 7, 2014
    OTR/Thailand
    In theory that fuel could be used to generate revenue, but in all actuality it cannot... It's like saying if you drove for 14 hrs a day you could increase your revenue by X....yes, the calculations look great but it's not a plausible reality.
    Again, I don't idle that much, and for ME $10-15k+, isn't worth it....

11. I glide 47

Jun 3, 2017
    Enough said. ,I think you agree to disagree I know I do

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.