mercer transportation

Discussion in 'Mercer' started by kw12, Jul 21, 2012.

1. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    Yeah they run spot market stuff and have accounts. But they also don't give 100% FSC and insurance is about 2k more a year and no fuel discounts lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    There's a LOT of negativity and souring attitudes about rates right now. Some are chocking it up to seasonal adjustments, others have a more cynical view of what might be coming around the corner.

A guy I used to run for (under his authority) gave me a call a few weeks ago, He was sort of feeling me out to see if I might be interested in running for him again.

He has and is securing quite a bit of contract freight. That consistency is tempting, however, when I cut the cord 3 plus years ago I determined that as long as I could equal or best what these lease on carriers are paying, I much prefer to do my own thing, my own way and not to depend on anyone else, especially ding bat dispatchers and logistics people, to keep me moving in a way that is most conducive to the way I want to operate.

So far, it's worked out and unless something drastically changes, I'm keeping it that way.

2CAN, thaistick and RStewart Thank this.
  4. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    I'm kind of the opposite. If I can make nearly the same as having my own authority give or take a little, being leased on to Mercer why should I?

I dont feel like haggling with brokers or running out trying to sell myself to shippers.

We dont have dispatchers here. I book 90% of my loads off of our load board, the other 10% come from getting called by Agents and my "freight coordinator".

Some of these guys complaining about rates and freight availability obviously dont read much on this site or any other sites regarding freight rates and trends currently...

I follow another guys thread on here who pulls a reefer under his own authority. His current YTD is $1.99... That's with all the baggage that comes with a reefer... Added fuel cost, maintenance, washouts, food warehouses. I'm in no way bad mouthing the man, just trying to point out to some of the guys on this thread thinking the rates we are getting here are terrible.

I find it interesting cause I'm above $1.99 a mile YTD and that's after Mercers 25%...

I dont drink Koolaid before anyone says it, I'm actually sitting in the Dentist office waiting to get a Crown installed... I might start drinking sugar free Koolaid now... :D 15508587007454254875126811184506.jpg

5. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    That's funny!

PoleCrusher and JonJon78 Thank this.
  6. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    As far as my operation, I closed out 2018 right at 200k on less than 70k ALL miles.

That's with a dry van on the I-5 corridor...

No way any leasing company would of paid me that kind of rate per mile on the lane I run, the way I choose to run.

But like they say, different strokes for different folks ;-)

RStewart Thanks this.
  7. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    I make a little better than I did at Mercer but I'm still leased to a carrier. He takes 10% and I pay EVERYTHING. Even with that I'm still about 7% higher than when I was with Mercer but the best part is I'm home weekends and only running about 1500 miles a week. Haven't found a company that could provide that. More than likely this summer I'll go ahead and get my own authority and keep the 10% I'm giving up. This was just a cheap and easy way to test the market to see if I wanted to run under my own authority.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Scooter Jones and ky waldo Thank this.
  8. RStewart

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    That's really good. Nice job

9. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Thank you. Do I anticipate a repeat of that this year? Who knows LOL. I'll give it my best shot though.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    RStewart Thanks this.
  10. RStewart

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    I hear ya. Can't take anything for granted in this business.

Scooter Jones Thanks this.
  11. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    A friend bought a truck from lone mountain. His truck keeps breaking down so hes letting it go back. Wouldn't that also affect his personal credit even though it's only reporting on business credit?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.