mercer transportation

Discussion in 'Mercer' started by kw12, Jul 21, 2012.

1. roshea

roshea Road Train Member

Obviously you don't realize that with your own authority you will never make less than $5.00/mi, never deadhead for loads, never wait for loads, never deal with brokers. All your expenses will be far less also. You have the freedom to work as much or as little as you want, take a month or two off at a time several times a year. You can't possibly lose money once you man up, become a 'real' owner operator and get your own numbers.

(sarcasm - for those who can't comprehend)

379_largecar, RStewart, mtoo and 4 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RunningAces

RunningAces Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2017
    Not really interested in any of the sarcasm, nothing I asked was belittling of Mercer or people who lease on with them. Anyways I guess, would a 48' flat be OK with Mercer or is there a push to go with a 53' or even a stepdeck for higher paying loads?

4. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    48’ would be sufficient...they have some loads for 53’ but not many to justify getting one...as far as step deck it’s a crap shoot...They have good loads for step decks but they also have a ton of cheap crappy loads for step decks as well..

dwells40 and RunningAces Thank this.
  5. sbaumann14

sbaumann14 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Rhinelander, WI
    Youll do better with a flat. I have a step. Had some great step loads, but then there are times i couldnt take loads cause they wouldnt fit on my step. I guess its a wash, but if i had to do it all again, id go flat

RunningAces Thanks this.
  6. roshea

roshea Road Train Member

My truck inspection was due by end of March. I've been tied up trying to sell my mom's house I inherited, then this flu stuff happened, and I just could not be bothered to make time to get the truck to a shop. So yesterday I finally got it inspected, and it got updated in the system early afternoon today. My phone immediately started ringing with load offers from agents and some from LKY. Load board had me matched to a bunch of loads. There is certainly no shortage of loads from what I'm seeing, and rates appear fine. What you will see on the load board is the leftovers. Anything good is snatched up immediately since there are fewer drivers out there now. Tomorrow will be about 250 miles total and over $1K revenue, plenty good enough for me to be home at night. Now I guess I'll be back to work on my regular local schedule of 2, sometimes 3, loads per week. Good thing is traffic in major cities is so light right now, unfortunately that won't last.

7. vangtransport

vangtransport Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2009
    There's plenty of loads with "fine rates" yet the board only shows leftovers, because the shortage of drivers is causing all those good loads to be snatched up quickly! Makes sense!!

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    tommymonza Thanks this.
  8. PoleCrusher

PoleCrusher Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    And I'm a French model, seriously. I said so on the internet so it must be true.

tommymonza and jsnell Thank this.
  9. RunningAces

RunningAces Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2017
    Are you guys at Mercer on the flat side right now?

10. vangtransport

vangtransport Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2009
    No, I left Mercer after being there 5 & 1/2 years.

11. roshea

roshea Road Train Member

Yes

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.