Mercer

Discussion in 'Mercer' started by Krooser, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Krooser

Krooser Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Great company but not for van freight.

I was there just shy of six years... did very well with my flatbed. Good rates... good agents and travel agents. They don't keep your money tied up if you are behind on your paperwork... they will pay you but won't dispatch you until your paperwork is submitted.

They don't screw with your money, either.

After five years with a flatbed I had to switch to a van beacuse I had a bad shoulder. The head of the van division couldn't find a load of freight if it bit him in the ###...stayed 9 months and left.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
    And generally Mercer isn't a van company. What do we have? 1800 flats/steps/RGN's & 180 vans?

Outerspacehillbilly is pulling a van & seems to be doing ok... At least from what I can tell from talking to him. He's home every other weekend if not ever weekend.

4. outerspacehillbilly

outerspacehillbilly "Instigator of the Legend"

May 28, 2009
    The Who's Your State

You are right to an extent, but so is Redd. Mercer is a flatbed company with a very small van division but they are trying to grow it with more and more van customers. I have not been over here that long but I have done pretty good so far on the van side. Sometimes it's not the best but it's not the worst either. I have figured out in a short time here that if you can stay in certain lanes here on the vans then you can do pretty good and have very little deadhead. I have also learned places to stay out of already because of large deadheads and low paying loads coming out.

On the other hand I am not real picky about what I haul or where I go as long as it pays good I'll go. The stuff we have going into the northeast pays real well but most guys won't do it. I chase the money if their is a good paying load I'll go end of story. I may have to deadhead a good distance to get my next decent load but I know that going in so I take that into consideration when offered the load and figure a large deadhead into the rate to see if it will be worth it or not.

Sorry to hear that it did not work out for you and wish you the best of luck on whatever you do from here on.

canuck in da truck Thanks this.
  5. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    Any place that would hire you two can't be that good...:biggrin_25522:

volvodriver01 Thanks this.
  6. outerspacehillbilly

outerspacehillbilly "Instigator of the Legend"

May 28, 2009
    The Who's Your State
    Yeah now that you mention it......... :biggrin_2559:

7. Krooser

Krooser Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Orie in St. Paul kept me busy with Northern Tool... Bob in Milwaukee, who I loaded for almost every week, didn't have any van loads. All the agents I did well with when I had a flat didn't have van freight so I had to rely on dispatch. When I did find a load in-line they'd screw around getting our insurance and MC# info to the broker and I'd usually miss the load.

I was used to making $1.80 per mile plus fsc... $1.30 wasn't cutting it for me.

Mercer IS a great outfit... they don't hire just anyone. I was very sad to leave them... it was like leaving family. The day I said goodbye to all the folks I worked with over there was terrible.

I quit because I had taken a 40 hour job for $40K per year in advertising and public relations. Kept the truck... which was good because my boss and I didn't see eye to eye on anything and I left after 9 months.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.