Midwestern Distribution , Ft Scott Kansas

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by TruckerPip, Aug 21, 2021.

1. TruckerPip

TruckerPip Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2020
    I was not with them long , but I did not meet anyone who could show real profits. Most guys would say " I guess its averaging out" or " well it takes a while to get ahead" stuff like that. most guys were just breaking even, and not sending much money home to the family.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yeah, I didn't stay long either. I went to cdl school and graduated with a buddy of mine. I went with MidWestern and he went with a reefer outfit hauling produce coast to coast. He made great money right out of school and for me $75 or $100 a week. At truckstops I'd fill out those postcard size job application and mail them. Finally got a job offer hauling boats, so jumped to that.

Speed_Drums and TruckerPip Thank this.
  4. TruckerPip

Mar 6, 2020

Yep, thats about all I made too. $85 check was common, and when we had to layover, there was just nothing to do but hang around the drivers room at a truckstop, because there was two of us and just one single bunk cabover to wait it out. Sometimes the lead driver would get a motel room just to get a nights sleep. That was the only time I ever took a "double team" running job. Everybody I ran with just waited and waited for dispatch to give them something. sometimes we waited for days. I knew It was not something I could stay with. But it got me started so that's what I did. You had to get experience somehow, MWD knew just how much to keep guys hanging on.

Chinatown and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I bought a hammock and installed it over the passenger and drivers seats. Worked out pretty well. When I quit the company I left it in there. Also installed a rod in the sleeper berth to hang clothes.
    While I was home for a few days, installed the rod for clothes and the hammock. Put an eye bolt on each side over the drivers seat and the passengers seat for the hammock. When time to hit the road, just roll up the hammock and go.
    [​IMG]

Blue jeans, TruckerPip and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  6. Speed_Drums

Speed_Drums Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2014
    When did You guys started driving?

7. travlnman55

travlnman55 Bobtail Member

Nov 25, 2021

TruckerPip and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  8. travlnman55

travlnman55 Bobtail Member

Nov 25, 2021
    The Todd Motel, it was on the south end of the main drag going through town. The Sonic drive in and Pizza Hut were close by. Started there late '76, didn't take long to realize my O/O dreams were not going to happen at MWD. My dispatcher Henry kept me going, he looked like Porter Wagner. Had 2 trucks there a real POS '74 FL #1116-1, then a new '78 FL #8594. When I left in mid 1978, I was an old timer.

9. TruckerPip

Mar 6, 2020

Thanks for that info. I remember walking to the sonic , and the Pizza Hut. That Motel was a funny place to hang out. it had a trailer park on the far end next to it, and if you wanted some "Company" all you had to do was ask the front desk for an "extra blanket" or an "Extra Pillow" and wait a bit , and a female would bring a pillow or blanket, and come inside the room to make sure you were happy with the pillow or blanket ; ) sometimes they even forgot to bring the blanket, but they would come inside just the same. You know, to make sure you were comfortable. it was winter of 78 or 79 when I was there. Those COE freightliners rode rough . were just not big enough for good team driving. But for me it was a starting job as an OTR driver.

10. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    I'd been trucking for a few years about that time and will tell you about my introduction to them.
    I used to run down to a plant in Winfield KS and would pass thru Ft Scott regularly so I was familiar w them and a company out of Albert Lea MN called Becker hi-way frate.
    Both were training companies w lease options.
    Bad deal even back then.
    About that time ,and maybe you recall, a MD driver tried to turn around on Crystal lake in Robbinsdale,MN during the winter and broke thru. It made the local news here as the driver thought it was a open field and the wrecker company tore off nearly every axle winching it out.
    It garnered some not so flattering publicity for MD.

11. AF Brat

AF Brat Bobtail Member

Dec 1, 2021
    I second the motion on the Todd motel. I think the owner’s name was Gary. I rode into town after a cross country bus ride on Greyhound and Trailways. I had eaten some bad food along the way and by the time i got to Fort Scott i was so sick i barely moved from my room at the Todd for 3-4 days.
    I was the co-driver on #1193 for about a year. A friend of mine actually paid that thing off after I left. He bought another one snd kept for I don’t know how long.
    MD ran fuel squeezer 290s with 13 speeds. No Jake brakes and MD removed the trailer hand valve too …. Too many guys were using trailer brakes instead of service brakes

TruckerPip and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.