Midwestern hills....

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by Pedigreed Bulldog, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Who said it was all straight & flat?

35052924.png

Woodys Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. volvo244t

volvo244t Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    People who have never been to the Midwest think it's all straight and flat. And northwestern OH, central/northern IN, and central IL, they'd be more or less correct, in general, but that's about all the flat you get out here. Iowa is nowhere near flat. Nebraska seems flat to the people who just pass through on I-80, but in reality, that's because most of I-80 is built on the flood plain of the Platte River. From Grand Island to the split, to be sure. North and south of I-80 it's anything but flat.

bzinger Thanks this.
  4. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    aannnnnnnd, Since their are many "Brainiac" Carriers out there knowing this, Their operation is Chicago to,Northern Indiana Southern Michigan,Central illinois and Toledo,Oh, to the east and Indy to the South,Springfield.Il to the Southwest and Milwaukee-Madison to the North..

AND YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!! While your reading this secretly,quietly with a firm Grin on your face looking at bank statements.

bzinger Thanks this.
  5. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    That right there is one of my favorite roads. Cuts out 30+ miles, and bypasses the flustercluck otherwise known as St. Louis, as well as 2 sets of scales. Ain't for the faint of heart, though...steep grades, sharp curves, and no shoulders on a little 2-lane. Where that screenshot was taken, I'd just come down a 13% grade with a bend at the bottom crossing a railroad track and a creek, then right into this 18% climb on the other side. Always fun grossing 75-80K, which is why I run it...keeps you on your toes.

Have I mentioned how interstates bore the hell out of me?

Oldironfan, bzinger and stayinback Thank this.
  6. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I like people who think Kansas is flat too lol

7. stayinback

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Hwy 185 in illinois?

From St Peter to Hillsboro? Im trying to figure out where your trying to go! Or trying to do

Doesn't really have much to do with St Louis unless you came across I-64 trying to get to Northern Missouri,or western Illinois ....More of a inconvenience I suppose.

185 isn't bad from Hillsboro to Vandalia- But its only like a 50 mile stretch of highway- I don't think hwy 185 goes west of Hillsboro

8. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
  9. stayinback

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
  10. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    @Pedigreed Bulldog

I just took this route to get from I-55 to a delivery in Sullivan off I-44. My friend, you can keep that road, LOL. I was taking 32 to 67 to 8 and could either go 8 all the way over and then head north on 44, ooorrr take 185 directly. I was going to play it by ear. The route leading up to 185 was all pretty wide open, so I figured 185 would be the same. Nooooope. The first little bit was decent, just a real narrow two lane with little to no traffic. Then I started getting into the foresty hilly curves with no shoulder, and cars coming around the blindside at 50mph while your trying to keep your trailer on the pavement, ahaha.

I knew I was in trouble when I started seeing a bunch of crotch rockets flying through the curves. I'm thinking "nice, Im gonna be a youtube star like that truck who got stuck on that Tail of the Dragon pass", ahaha.

Although I will not take away from that road being a butt clencher regardless, it would have been a lot nicer if I wasn't loaded at 79k.

Much respect if you take that route on the normal.

11. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    ROTFLMAO!!! I'm usually going the other way. You know that one steep hill that hooked to the right as you went down, crossed the creek & railroad as it bent back to the left and went back up? That downhill is where I took that GPS screenshot. I'm usually heading the opposite direction as you went, and I love every second of it. I'm kind of glad more drivers don't like those narrow little hilly curvy fun roads...keeps 'em out of my way. Proper gear selection, momentum and timing are key...got to be in the right gear and time getting on the throttle to wind up the turbo before you start up with as much momentum as the curve allows...hit your downshifts flawlessly, and EEEEASE back into the throttle to catch it rather than thrash it before you get into it too much again. Once you figure it out, it's a lot of fun.

Woodys Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.