Monteagle

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mountainman444, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    The purpose of the brake check area is to keep too many trucks from trying the grade at the same time. I have never seen it enforced, but I pull in anyway.

A ten year old necro thread. I am confident that there IS A PLUGIN for this forum software that will require people to click a button to verify that they want to resurrect an ancient thread.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ulenie

ulenie Medium Load Member

May 24, 2018
    Houston, TX
    lol I resurrected it but no one seems to be answering my question.

4. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    My 10 speed hits 1500 RPM at 21 miles per hour in 6th. 7th gear is where I would be on a downgrade with jakes at 25mph. Since that's around 1300 RPM in 7th gear, I'd likely have to use the brakes now and then.

If you can hit 25 miles per hour in 6th gear without pushing your motor into excessive RPM territory, then 6th is fine. I can't. I would be around 1800 RPM at 25mph in 6th, which is 100 rpm higher than I let my motor get to.

ulenie Thanks this.
  5. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    The signs are posted for a reason. Find the gear that would put you at an acceptable RPM not sure what your gear ratios on your truck are. My Kenworth t680 I would try 6th gear and if I notice medium jakes are still slowing me down I’d put her to 7th and see if high is slowing me down then if it is I would set the medium then alternate between high and medium to gain or lose speed. You won’t have to touch the brakes one bit. Make sure your hazards are on!

ulenie and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  6. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I will do my best to do just that. For the east coast those grades are steep. The State of Tennessee has placed warning signs there and information about those grades. This is old hat for most drivers that have been up and down that road for years. However for a new driver looking at those signs and understanding those grades ahead might save a life. That sir is why that place is there.

ulenie Thanks this.
  7. ulenie

ulenie Medium Load Member

May 24, 2018
    Houston, TX
    Yes, mine is the same. I thought maybe one lower gear is better than risking in being too high of a gear.

I don't even know the ratios either. I am also not sure what different levels of jakes are. I know I have a jake button that turns it on and off. Not to select different levels. I am driving Schneiders Cascadia 10 speed. I think its a 2015

8. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    West bound isn’t nearly as bad as East bound. Just take her easy and you’ll be fine.

Every time I go down the east bound, I’ll find a gear low enough to let the Jake carry me all the way down. Loaded to 80k, I go around 30mph or so, and never hit the brakes. Everybody will blast right by me, with their brakes smoking at the bottom.

It’s always humbling to see tracks in the gravel of the runaway ramps.

9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    West bound is much easier than east bound.

10. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Call your service folks, tell them the truck number, and ask them what is the maximum safe RPM for the engine.

Keep your engine near that RPM, but not over it, for best results with a jake, to save your brakes.

ulenie Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.