My experience with PAM - C1, and Driver Solutions

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by yahushua, Mar 26, 2018.

1. yahushua

yahushua Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Ok, so why would I review PAM if I never drove for them? That's a fair question.

First, let me say that I'm a former professional- banking/lending for over 25 years. My last position as a Commercial Credit Analyst/Lender I held for more than 12 years. I left with two letters of recommendation and all of my annual reviews were excellent. I say this because some people like to blame a company for their own lack of work ethic. That's not me. I left banking because of the stress, I wanted to do something different, and I had always wanted to drive a truck - for a while.

I provide this review as both a warning and as advice to those investigating the program.

Ok, so PAM does company sponsored training, This isn't a bad deal- actually. They sent me to C1 Indianapolis. I had to get there, but they put you up in Extended Stay America (with a roommate). It wasn't the Taj Mahal but it wasn't bad. My roommate and I had some things in common- it worked.

The school itself was very good. You will get out of it what you put into it. I got the feeling they really want to see you succeed. Range trainer - Vic (Victor) is THE MAN. He will have you backing like a pro in no time. Road trainer William is a rock star. William had me shifting that 10 speed, and handling that truck better than I thought I could. Do what they say and you will pass.

I have one negative thing to say about training- and this is really directed at Driver Solutions- not C1. Don't tell people they will get done in 3 weeks. NOBODY finishes in 3 weeks. It took me almost 4 weeks and some took all of 5 weeks. My advice- plan for 5 weeks, hope for four weeks. It SHOULD take four weeks or more! You will be driving an 80,000 lbs truck at 65 miles per hour! I'm good with 4/5 weeks - I just wished Driver Solutions would have been honest about the timeframe so I could have planned better- logistically speaking. Made some lifelong friends in school- people of different colors, races, different walks of life, and by the end you'd have thought we all grew up together- it was great.

I went home and waited on my PAM mentor. I had heard horror stories about bad experiences with mentors so I was a little nervous. After all, you are going out with a complete stranger for weeks... living in the same truck. I was home for less than a week and got picked up about 8 miles from home. My mentor Rick (Richard) was great. Professional, courteous... good hygiene. Best of all, he taught me so much. There is so much to learn AFTER school- and I learned. There is is way more to being a truck driver than driving a truck. Nothing but respect for drivers.

So, after being out for just over 2 weeks, my mentor dropped me off at PAM HQ inTontitown AR.

They put me in their bunkhouse. This made Extended Stay feel like The Four Seasons! The room was slightly bigger than the single (twin) bed and desk. No place to put the two weeks worth of stuff you brought. No closet, coat rack, not even a hook to hang a coat or towel on. Communal bathroom/shower- I've seen cleaner bathrooms/showers at truck stops.

Road and backing tests went well, and orientation wasn't bad. They provide meal coupons for a couple places close by.

So, after I completed the orientation they had me sign paperwork- and slipped a document in that said I would make .20 cents per mile split ( they make you team for 6 months). But I was told by my recruiter it was .40 cents per mile split. I was also told I would get a $1000 bonus for hazmat endorsement plus reimbursement for background check. I got my hazmat and later found out that you have to stay 6 months to get the full payout on the bonus.

So, I get "processed" which includes signing a stack of paperwork that rivals a phone book. They assign my truck -tell me I am "ready to roll" and send me out.

Here is where things get bad.

I go out to the yard to inspect my truck. It's an older Freightliner. Cracked mirror... scrapes on the mirror body(s), and the sides of the truck, a few cracks in the fender, holes in the hood where they mounted a bug guard and then took it off... all stuff I could live with. Then I get to the back and see that the APU is crushed, the passenger side wing/ferring is busted- wiggles rattles... about to fall off! Then I look at my airlines and they're cut! Gapping holes... very obvious! For those who don't know, these air hoses are your trailer brakes! I was told my truck was ready.... seriously? I get in the truck.... not only was it dirty on the exterior, it was FILTHY on the inside. It wreaked of cigarettes and body odor. Dirt and gravel all over the floor board. Burns in the seats. Door seals are thrashed.

Shorty after my inspection I get an email from the new driver development mentor - congratulating me on my upgrade and letting me know he is my "go to", should I have any problems or issues. So, I reply with an email detailing the issues with the truck. I get back a very curt reply "contact your DM (driver manager)". So much for having a new driver development mentor.... "what exactly do ya do here?"

Guys, if DOT sees a truck in this kinda shape (body parts flapping in the wind).... air hoses with holes... they are gonna rubber glove you! And the violations go against the driver!!!

While I was out with my mentor, we had a blowout, we had to p/u a trailer for a broken down PAM tractor.... met a 2 year PAM driver whose truck was really bad... his mirrors were so screwed up and poorly mounted that he basically couldn't see out of them. I received texts from other classmates saying they had bad trucks, they were broken down, etc.

My roommate got his truck assigned to him with a badly busted fender and a hole in the windshield. I have pictures of his truck. He said "This truck is so bad that I wish I had your truck!" I did a little research (probably a little late at this point) and found that PAM is notorious for low pay and broken down equipment. My mistake.... should have done my homework before I proceeded. It won't happen again.

I took detailed pictures and video of the condition of my truck.... I may need these later.

So, with all of the problems I could visually see on my "ready to go" truck.... what about the things I can't see? RED FLAGS EVERYWHERE!!!

PAM does everything on the cheap.... including their equipment.

Guys these things will cost YOU money... they may cost you your career... worse, these things may cost you and other people thier lives!

I had a classmate and friend jump ship early and go to US Express. He has two brothers who drive for US Express and they are very happy with their choice.

So, I contacted a recruiter with US Express.... she contacted Driver Solutions to verify me... and get me released. Driver Solutions was completely uncooperative. They refused to provide US Express the necessary information. So, I called... they wanted $6000 for my training. The recruiter agreed to make payments for my training on my behalf - but she had to verify me before we could proceed.

After a little pressure on Driver Solutions (and a small good faith payment) they finally provided US Express with my records.

I did a little research and Driver Solutions has been sued (and lost) in a class action lawsuit for violations of the FDCPA (Fair Debt Collection Practices Act). As a former lender, I'm very familiar with this particular regulation. The judgment required Driver Solutions to forgive the debt of all of the claimants involved- and pay each of them $430.

I am considering contacting my attorney and providing the DOT with my video/ pictures of the truck they were about to send me out on the road with.

I am in orientation for US Express as I write this review. And I have received a few (somewhat threatening) voicemails from the DM with PAM.

Folks, learn from my experience... do your research and if you chose Driver Solutions/PAM .... do so with your eyes wide open.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Drivingotr4life

Drivingotr4life Light Load Member

Mar 20, 2018
    On their website the leasing program looks good 2700 miles for 1500 bucks. Is there any truth to that?

4. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Great writeup, OP. Hope things are better at USX.

5. yahushua

yahushua Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2018
    In my orientation I met a really great guy named Chike (pronounced: Chee-Kay). He was doing the lease program.... I asked him about it, and he said he was doing it because he would get a dedicated route out of Houston... and make better $. I ran into him again and he wasn't so happy.... said the dedicated route he was promised has been closed for over a month. Now he is on the hook for the truck?

Personally, I would never buy/lease a PAM truck based on how poorly they are maintained.

6. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    Ok so I started to answer with a lot of sarcasm but instead I will try to be helpful. I drove for them, here is my opinion.
    In my opinion ;
    PAM undercuts rates to get most of the business they have. In doing so they have to cut expenses to create any margin at all. Driver pay is how they create that margin. Cut miles, cut pay, get you to pay their bill's, whatever it takes. I once heard an operations manager say drivers are a neccessary evil. You as a driver are nothing to them. Your replacement is sitting in class at C1 right now.
    So if this sounds like a company you should be in business with go right ahead. Good luck.

7. Drivingotr4life

Drivingotr4life Light Load Member

Mar 20, 2018
    I'm not really considering them but I've thought about it in the past because of their we site example settlement. If they don't give you 2700 miles regularly it's not worth it. Their truck payments are a lot less them most fleece programs like 450 which is definitely nice. Anyone actually do a lease with them on here?

sevenmph Thanks this.
  8. aramil248

aramil248 Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Maine
    I was told that if you're given a unsafe/overweight load just call up the dot you wouldn't get points because didn't get on the road (well they shouldn't) and they just put you out of service. Same thing must apply when given a unsafe truck to drive. It is interesting how a crst instructor told me.

9. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    What does it say, when you call it a "fleece"?

10. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    The more things change,the more they stay the same.
    Great right up by the op.
    I'm having flashbacks.

I started with Pam in the late 80"S.
    they had thier own school then, right up the
    Road in Jonesboro. It was excellent.

I can't believe there still using that motel at the
    Yard in Tonitown. It had a bed and one end table
    Back then. Nothing else. No tv,no cable, community
    showers. It sucked.
    You probably slept on the same bed we did 25 years ago.

First truck was a beat down flat top freightliner.
    35 mph top speed climbing hills empty. Lol.
    Loaded was life threatening.

I somehow managed to make it the full year and
    Not owe them anything. Took my weeks vacation at
    Orientation for jb hunt and took the truck back the
    Next week.

I see they haven't changed one bit.

rustyswife, sevenmph and Texas_hwy_287 Thank this.
  11. yahushua

yahushua Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Yeah, forgot to mention the bed was hard as a rock... or should I say the mattress was hard... no box spring, it sat on a metal box.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.