My Experience with UPSF

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by ACH1130, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Hammer71

Hammer71 Light Load Member

May 21, 2012
    Montgomery NY
    I did make good money on the team run. 4 day run for me was a little over 11 a week take home, (i am at top rate though).
    Halp, Start 15.05 after probation 16.13, 1yr 17.20, yr2 19.35 top ot at yr 3 26.15 Thats the hourly the mileage rates start .3807 after probation .4079 1yr.4350 yr2 .4894 top out .6601 as stated it will go up when we finally agree on a new contract.

ACH1130 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Thanks for the replys... and ACH1130 your right I look at the YRC thread as well... YRC was a good company when I worked there on the dock but Im not trying to be On call and do that all over again... Im In Chicago area and the terminal here for YRC is huge but ive heard from guys here that I would be on call at least 7-10 years... No thanks... as far as CWF went I think there negatives out weighed the positives just wasn't for me...

At UPSF do you hook your own sets?
    Do you work the dock a lot like at CWF or is it more like YRC?

Have a good weekend boys.

4. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    The YRC terminal you will be running teams there most likely, takes years to get off that. on my thread theres a guy who is doing it now. Yea I didnt like the on call either, but my last month I was able to hold a mon-fri bid 8pm start time, I was LUCKY to get that bid, friends of mine just said new bids were out and I wouldve been bumped. all good things come to an end... and I agree about CWF.

Yes we do out own hooks at UPSF. I do know the Harrisburg terminal sometimes hooks your set for you before you get there, but still have to break apart your set. Yea there is dock work at UPSF but its not terrible, NOTHING like CWF. I go in at 7pm, load up my outbound trailers, the dock workers dock everything in the back of the trailer and we load up ours. Then I go to Carteret which is 70 miles away, break down my set, then they have us strip one of the trailer we brought in, its fast as you just dock everything. Then after thats done we go over to our doors and load up our trailers. On my run Im scheduled to be the first one to leave, my cut off time is at 3 or 330 am to leave CRT.

Theres no slip seating for us which is nice. I am getting and older tractor, an Overnite one actually I saw the number. Glad its a volvo though.

@Hammer71 thanks for clearing that up for me... our TM wasnt a 100% sure what the rates are. Gotta tell you that some HUGE increases for the final year LOL. YRC started high but didnt get much higher in the long run

5. Hammer71

May 21, 2012
    Montgomery NY
    Yeah it was a godsend when I topped out which actually wasnt that long ago (july). Halpin As far as dock work, it all depends on the run, I dont touch any freight on mine but there are runs where you do (as Arch pointed out). The one that sticks in my mind from our terminal pays a tad over 2 grand gross a week. The guy makes a 3 1/2 hr drive works the dock for a few hours hooks up and heads back, sweet gig he has there.

6. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    There have been an increase in rollovers due to this system. I beleive someof it..We have so many temps let loose to their own devices. Safestack is great, increases trailer utilization, but if used improperly, more top heavy trailers.

7. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    If you ever see MY truck in YOUR area, I think I will have far greater problems than being peeved about you flipping me the bird.

8. Oi!

Oi! Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    I'm glad you opened the thread. This will shine some light on UPSF. What yard is that? When I teamed for Conway Truckload we ended up doing so many UPS runs. Montgomery, NY was a fun one, if I'm not mistaken the directions were total crap and I ended up on this little two lane road with a 9 foot tunnel up ahead, luckily I could still make a right turn and go around the block. I also did drops in Carteret and Newark.

Other than that I ended up visiting most UPS hubs. Salt Lake City was a cool one, when I pulled in there were two guys with triples just waiting to leave on their run.

9. Hammer71

May 21, 2012
    Montgomery NY
    Oh yeah those are some great directions arent they? The main road used to stop right there at the blinking light,(about 10 yrs ago) the map companies and gps makers still havent updated. Isnt it great that we have so much freight we have to give it away?

CenutryClass Thanks this.
  10. Oi!

Oi! Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    Wouldn't it still be cheaper to haul the freight UPS themselves? I mean, where I work we use other companies but that's only for areas we don't cover. We use NEMF in the northeast and I don't know who does California for us.

It hurts my eyes to see CRST pulling Southeastern doubles. Or so many OTR companies pulling into the Conway Freight here in Orlando. Then they have the balls to tell the guys on the extra board that things are slow.

11. Hammer71

May 21, 2012
    Montgomery NY
    We get the same thing here in NY, and I would imagine they are saving money somehow (why else would they use someone else). Guys sitting home while outside carriers are pulling our freight doesnt sit well with any of us here and as I see doesnt sit well with you guys either.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.