My journey as a trucker.

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Prolaznik, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Prolaznik

Prolaznik Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2013
    SD
    Ocupacion: Driver
    Driving Record: Clean
    OTR experience: Two weeks

My 6 months experience in the Food distribution industry. (The Good & The Bad)

The Good.
    Great home time, same routs 4 days work week with 10-12hrs days. In the first 6 months i got a total of $1.50 raise
    My days start around 4am-5am and end whenever the job is done, sometimes i'll have up to 13 thousands pounds of produce to unload.

The Bad.
    You are out there in all weather conditions, customers that don't appreciate your hard work, some of them expect you to arive at the same time all the time. Almost forgot to mention how much fun it is to get the dolly cart down the 60 years old stairs into the basement lol.

Overall i like it, im gonna do this for a while, my goal is to haul fuel one day.

I will post here more as the months go by.

Mev, road_runner and Mike2633 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Good for you.

Don't let the lack of appreciation get to you.

Texas_hwy_287, Chinatown and Shaggy Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yep, when you're dealing with food service or grocery store receivers, you're not dealing with Mensa candidates.
    Just one example; one time I arrived at a grocery store and the seal was broken. You would have thought the world was coming to an end. All the Mensa candidates working in the storeroom were glaring at me and giving those snide remarks and thought they should call the police and have the tractor searched. They called the company and said I should be investigated. Well, we unloaded an did a piece count and item check to find out what I had stolen. Well, well too many items on the truck and then everything changed, they asked politely if I would just leave the overage and not mention it. Returned the overage to the warehouse and kept my mouth shut. Immediately on return the suits were all over me until I showed them the overage. Don't know how the seal was broken; it was one of those cheap plastic ones the security guard puts on when you leave the gate.

5. Glp

Glp Medium Load Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Oakland, CA
    Ive noticed restaurant chefs to be some of the rudest, and whiniest customers ive delivered to

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    Crap happens, guilty myself for not doing it. Why didn't you report it when doing a trailer inspection? thankfully my situations was the opposite and just threw the seals in the trailer.

however 1 time a shipper changed the color of seals and the reciever thought the world ended.

crap happens thanks for the story chinatown. some things are blown way out of proportion :biggrin_2551:

Chinatown and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I witnessed the security guard put the seal on and it looked OK. Didn't stop until arriving at the store and the seal was just hanging there broken. What was crazy, the trailers had side doors that weren't ever sealed, so if a driver wanted to steal something, just open the side door. When they figured that out the put bolts on the side doors; but then if a driver wanted to steal something, all he needed was two 5/8 wrenches.

blairandgretchen and Shaggy Thank this.
  8. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    Good ole secruity gaurds. ah makes much more sense now. I'll just say it without beating around the bush.
    The most miserable whinniest folks deal with everyday. When a tiny bit of anything is out of the ordinary. CRAP HITS THE FAN THE WORLD ENDED.

Miserable pricks. No doubt your story is true, cant even seal a trailer.

Disregarding the ways to get into a trailer. not much to it :biggrin_25523:

I was once accused of taking a pallet of empty plastic bottles. Long story short, the count was wrong. Told my employer, I would take a trailer to a destination. Sell off the contents and scrap the trailer. Don't ever accuse me of theft. Go big or go home. never was accused of crap again. yeah the wrong thing to say crap happens :biggrin_25520:

WTF would i do with empty plastic 16oz bottles? Dry ice bombs ?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  9. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Did foodservice in NZ for a while - couldn't agree more. Bunch of prima donnas, had to bite my tongue a lot, and had to 'apologize' a few times to keep my job. Douche bags.

Texas_hwy_287, Shaggy and Chinatown Thank this.
  10. Glp

Glp Medium Load Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Oakland, CA
    They beleive they are culinary gods, all must bow down

11. browndawg

browndawg Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2013
    Rock Island, IL
    depending on where ur at fuel hauling usually sucks too

OPUS 7 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.