Narrow Loading Dock - Trailer Door Options

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Industrial Engineer, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Industrial Engineer

Industrial Engineer Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2015
    I am working on a project that involves fixing a loading dock issue at a very old plant with a very old loading dock. The dock itself is enclosed, 80' long, and only gives the trailer about 1-2' on either side to back into. Backing the trailer into the dock is not the issue. The issue is that when the trailer is pulling out, the doors, which are supposed to be latched to the side of the trailer, swing open, and catch on the wall, beams, etc, which results in the door being ripped off the hinges and off the trailer.

I have a few ideas on how we might be able to fix this, but without having seen a lot of loading docks, I am looking for a little expert advice on this.

Is there a way to latch the doors to ensure they wont come undone? Is there something out there for that?

Any and all ideas would be fantastic.

Note: Widening the dock is not an option.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Had the same problem yesterday! Narrow inside dock with only 2 ft on each side. I use straps to get the door closer, also zip ties also works.

Industrial Engineer Thanks this.
  4. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Keep a few of those hand pump bar clamps by the dock, when they leave just put one on each side when compressed they will pin the doors open as wide as possible, that way your covered even if the door has no good spot for a bungee

5. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Hand them 2 pieces of 12" long wire when they check in and tell them what it's for. Then it's the drivers problem. I carried wire with me all the time when I pulled boxes with barn doors. Came in handy many times just for the reason of this post. Only I was more worried about taking off another driver's mirror.

6. TLeaHeart

TLeaHeart Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    Wire around the handle of the door, down to the frame of the trailer, keeps the door attached. I never trusted the little door holders on my refer trailers, always tied them open with a bungee, or wire.

7. ladywrongway03

ladywrongway03 Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2008
    trotwood oh
    Bring the dock up to realistic measurements.I would bet there isn't much room to move outside the dock either.tired of crap docks

Infosaur Thanks this.
  8. G.Anthony

G.Anthony Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Then don't come to my delivery places in downtown Boston.

loading docks were built in the time of horse wagons.

9. GreenMonster9669

GreenMonster9669 Medium Load Member

Aug 16, 2014
    St Louis
    Whatever solution you choose, it probably still won't work for trailers equipped with aerodynamic tails. They add about double to the thickness of the door when it's chained open.

EndHatred Thanks this.
  10. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    There's a pretty big difference between 1 foot and 2 feet but either should be enough unless they have to do a tight turn on the way out. Since they seem to be able to get in without issue that's probably not it.

You say the problem is with the doors not staying latched to the side of the trailer. Seems to me that's not your problem. Unless the floor/surface under the trailer is not smooth and the trailer is bouncing around I don't see what you can do.

11. CaptainDaveG

CaptainDaveG Road Train Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    I kunda agree...fit the dock..we have all been in tight places but some of these are almost impossible...I had one a few week ago I had to have a dock worker push against the door so it wouldn't catch pulling out, because of the tails...When I sent a message to dispatch they said your trailer doesnt have tails...well one photo changed that...

Be Safe Out There

Captain Dave

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.