Need a fast response here!!!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Consciousdrive, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    Park it next to a strong wall if you can do to lessen the chance it will roll and if possible get inside a building preferably one designated as a storm shelter.

650cat425 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Sure it is a extreme low pressure, Winds are part of it. It is capable of debarking living trees and stripping them of branches as well as pulling up living topsoil and grass 2 feet down.

I dont have the data for the dead via bridge. That would need some researching. However my thought of the bridge as a venturi and science of airflow stands. Even more so with modern bridges that are built as a reverse wing.

4. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    If you are in a 4wheeler, or maybe bobtail, then moving when you see a funnel forming *might* be a good idea. But with a trailer? Other people, especially 4 wheelers, will be getting all in your way. Probably not.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  5. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Under a bridge is better than nothing, or being in a truck, but Heavy is right, a deep ditch is better than under a bridge.

That wind is going to create an incredible 'whirlpool' of air under the bridge, and probably cut anyone under there apart with debris sucked in by the whirlpool.

Lostmykey, G13Tomcat, x1Heavy and 2 others Thank this.
  6. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I would recommend heading straight for the nearest mobile home park.

tommymonza and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Just make sure to never park under a bridge or overpass. The physical "choke point" creates a local acceleration of the wind. The wind speed of the tornado is bad enough, don't make things worse.

G13Tomcat, Farmerbob1 and 650cat425 Thank this.
  8. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    If it was me I sure as heck wouldn't go in side a Walmart.
    Those 20 foot tall unsupported block walls are a collapse waiting to happen.

I would disconnect from my trailer if it was an empty and get away from it .

Truck weighs 16 thousand and has less windage without the trailer, less chance of being picked up.

Hide underneath the bed if there is room , if not , on the bed underneath the mattress. .

Not much you can do but pray .

I've been down here in Florida through a few hurricanes, the first one was Andrew cat 5.

There was scarred pavement from the tornadoes

The hurricane winds are enough to scare the Life out of you plus the thought of deadly tornadoes spawning from them .

G13Tomcat, 650cat425 and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  9. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    @Consciousdrive .... did you SURVIVE?!? (<<< hey, that rhymes, haha!)

Rhyming Haiku, copyright in place.... (j/k ~! ;))

I was a Poet,

Too bad I didn't know it. . .

Drive now to Dough'it.

10. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio

Yep, on the hurricanes. Wife was driving truck for General Propeller Company and the St. Pete Times when Elena hit...and because she had what the Nat'l Guard believed to be a 'press pass' (it was her newspaper/trucker I.D. tag....) they WAVED HER ONTO Longboat Key to deliver. Whole island was evacuated. She was supposed to 'swap out' paper racks that night; couldn't even FIND any...all blown to beach, more less; and dang sure wasn't leaving any new ones. Apparently she readily went HOME and taped her windows and such, inland. I wasn't around for her yet, or THAT wouldn't have even happened, IMHO~! ;)
    85, I know, we are old.

Hurricane Elena - Wikipedia

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  11. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018
    You probably couldve pc'd out of there

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.