Need Help T680

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by logans, Jan 1, 2018.

1. logans

logans Light Load Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Cookeville tn
    I’m in the process of buying my first truck and have been looking at T680’s. 2015 and 2016 with Paccar MX13 engines with 13spds with 475-500k on the clock. I am concerned at the high mileage and would like to hear from guys with this or higher mileage. Any plus or minuses to buying this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Personally I think it’s a huge gamble.

From what I’ve seen and heard, it’s a 50/50 shot on that engine.

Good luck.

Oxbow and logans Thank this.
  4. logans

logans Light Load Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Cookeville tn
    It’s a 50/50 shot on any engine with the kind of miles I’m seeing I would think.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  5. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    On a Post Emission engine it's more like a 85% chance at 500k miles that it'll need a In-Frame.

The MX13 engine has alot of issues with the after treatment system.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  6. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    MX13 after treatment is made by Cummins Emission solutions. I think used truck buying comes down to research and who will perform the maintenance. Preventive maintenance is key to making these newer engines/after treatment more dependable. You have to proactive on cleaning EGR coolers, pipes, pressure sensors that are in direct contact with soot. Air or exhaust leaks must be checked and repaired ASAP. Hell, small crack in flex pipe will cause NOx conversion/efficiency codes. Basically, whoever is doing the maintenance on the truck needs to be well versed in the engine/after treatment to avoid costly breakdowns. Do your research and buy whatever the person doing maintenance prefers/is knowledgeable on. Personally, I prefer the MX over the ISX, but I have DAVIE and INSITE and training with both engine platforms.

Goodysnap and Oxbow Thank this.
  7. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    My fleet has 13 of the MX13 and 10 of the older MX 2010. All are 455 HP/1650 TQ. The MX13 has had less issue than MX10. No work under valve covers past a random injector or unit pump. No turbo issues, zero! Exhaust manifold do leak @ slips, but they will fix under warranty. Most issues involve after treatment. NOx sensors seem to last about 250,000- 300,000. Lots of software updates and campaigns to improve them. No oil usage problems and only one failed EGR cooler. All this being said, we change oil and filters @ 20,000 miles and grease every 5,000. Overheads, def filters, dpf cleaning, EGR system cleanup, etc is all done per Paccar recommended intervals.

logans and Oxbow Thank this.
  8. logans

logans Light Load Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Cookeville tn
    So you guys would feel comfortable buying one with 475 to 500k? I know about the dpf system clean every 200k and will do that. I guess I could have this done prior to buying and just add that cost into finance

9. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Ask about the price difference between cleaning and a new DPF.

spsauerland and logans Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.