Need Practice on Manual Transmission

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Tdawg, May 23, 2019.

1. Northerntanker

Northerntanker Bobtail Member

Mar 30, 2018
    I drove tanker with a Volvo I-shift...no problem, you can also shift it manually on the toggle if needs be. I would never go back to manual transmissions now

tscottme and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I pulled tankers 48 states with Volvo truck/Volvo engine/Volvo automatic transmission, and that was the best trucking experience I've ever had.

tscottme and Northerntanker Thank this.
  4. dieselpowered

dieselpowered Heavy Load Member

May 16, 2016
    Once you understand automatics you never really want to go back to manuals don't get me wrong there's times I rather drive thems typically on any hill down or up. City drive sorry but screw you manuals I hate drivers enough you don't need me in a manual and putting up with bad drivers I am liable loose my cool and yank one them out beat the guy down wouldn't be my first time but thankfully that aggressiveness kind calmed down I save my anger only for the ring.

5. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I myself detest automatics in big trucks with a passion. I have never yet been in a situation where I was gratefull I had an automatic instead of a manual.

6. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I like both but auto is so much more relaxing :)

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You will remember that it needs two numbers.

Say 1650 upshift.

Say down to 1250 downshift.

Anything else is overthinking it. Do not take the exact numbers I gave you for all trucks. Your particular truck, engine, trans etc all decides what your torque RPM will be and what your high horse power RPM will be (Not red line RPM)

Shifting in that range usually 400 rpm apart is where it likes to be.

I stopped driving OTR about 2002 early. but held on to my license and still active with big trucks as a crew boss until 2009. In 2006 they hired me to do yard jockey with a F9000 tractor and I docked that trailer in one move within a inch of where I wanted it to be the first time. The shifting fell into place 15 minutes later even though the two buildings I was supporting was about a half mile apart.

Like riding a bike. You will have it all come back to you soon enough.

Cam Roberts Thanks this.
  8. Fz1rider

Fz1rider Bobtail Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Florida
    Just be happy Super 10 transmissions are no longer in vogue other than that it is like riding a bike, no worries. I did like the suggestion of practicing in the bobtail, it can be tricky to float all 10 up and down. Once your smooth hook up and go.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.