New driver....

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Trueeyes, Jun 26, 2022.

1. Trueeyes

Trueeyes Bobtail Member

Jun 24, 2022
    Alabama
    So far, been a month... besides the thrilling experience of my first day and qualcomm going out for a large amount of drivers including myself things have been largely smooth sailing.

I do have some experienced possibly mechanic leaning questions though so i don't ruin this 2022 579 Peterbilt if someone can help out...

1. If my engine is running and i look at my coolant should it be in middle, max, min?

2. Is the engine oil really supposed to be darker than the inside of a coffin on a moonless night? I ask because my car looks clear as water but not so much this truck.... asked other drivers and they say yea that's just how it is. Btw its on 10w30 synthetic at 40k miles.

3. Winter question, but how does this Espar work... I've looked up what it is and understand is like an emergency heater kind of but when i press buttons on it it does nothing... does engine have to be shutdown before it will activate?

4. Is it even worth bothering with having your cb cal'd if the antenna is stuck behind your #### cab?

5. I am a very defensive driver in that.... well i won't slow down to 15mph on a 35mph twist but i have been trying to learn the proper timing to use my Jake and so far only Virginia (i think, this all runs together) has provided a use in conjunction with my brakes....... my question is are there downfalls to using the Jake brake say.. in rain or snow?

Thanks for any and all help, stay safe drivers!

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    5. - Avoid jake usage on slippery roads, sleet, ice, snow, even rain.

Slower the better, you can only go down the hill too fast ONCE. You can go down it slowly as many times as your little heart desires.

Be safe.

4. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    2 - Yeah, mines pretty much black once it’s been 3,000 miles.

Only oil analysis will provide a true guage of quality. Don’t worry about it - just check it, top it up and roll.

pete781693, Trueeyes and Boondock Thank this.
  5. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    3 - Learn yourself on that one now. They’re great in winter, but need to be run and maintained through the warm months too.

Depends on how it’s wired as to whether it functions while engine is running.

Trueeyes and Boondock Thank this.
  6. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    4 - You may spend some bucks here, Knoxville Petro has a good guy that runs co-ax as needed to improve functionality.

Mirror mount bird perch, good Stryker A-10, but it’ll cost you a little. Good antenna setup is key to CB operation. Please do so, the older folks like to keep this tool relevant.

pete781693, Trueeyes and Boondock Thank this.
  7. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I’d like to keep it relevant, as long as somebody shot that ####er with no panties.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.