New guy from SoCal.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by ernestolaganas, May 31, 2018.

1. Blu_Ogre

Blu_Ogre Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    Jim Palmer was bought by Will trans which runs primarily Prime freight.

Wil-Trans Buys Jim Palmer Trucking

I would take a hard pass on that if other options were available........

ernestolaganas Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cali kid

Cali kid Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    Mega OTR is, Mega OTR, is Mega OTR.
    Been there done that, it's a crap shoot either way.

4. Cali kid

Cali kid Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    At the very least you are smart to get all your endorsements right out of the gate, they will come in handy down the road.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Does Jim Palmer hire new grads? At one time you had to attend their in-house cdl school or have 18 mos experience. It's a good outfit; hope they hire you.
    These hire new cdl grads:
    Dynamic Transit
    Freymiller
    Navajo Express
    Melton Truck Lines
    Butler Transport
    Pride Transport

6. Camelclutch

Camelclutch Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Anaheim, California
    Get a job keep a job don't whine about it for about 6 months as long as they pay you and treat you fairly once you have some experience you should have no problem getting a tanker job my brother drove for Werner for about 6 or 8 months I got him a job driving a dump truck for a guy I knew he couldn't believe how crappy we get treated so he left got himself a job hauling fuel locally driving for someone he's probably doing much better than me and I own my own dump truck.He has less stress and a regular routine schedule,benifits and zero overhead. To be honest I'm a little bit jealous but my phone rings and I work enough to stay out of trouble so I'll watch from here.

7. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    Jim Palmer uses the Prime drop yard in Fontana, they don't have their own terminal there. You will be sent to Missoula, MT for training. Keep in mind Jim Palmer will make you sign a contract even though you have a CDL already. I would look for someone who doesn't require you to sign, and remember the longer you wait from the time you received your CDL, the more likely you will be required to sign a contract, most companies won't go out farther than 60-90 days.

8. 1029384746

1029384746 Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Can you recommend an affordable / quality school ? I stay in Glendale.

9. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    A few things to look for in a school. California is different from the other states, the State actually evaluates and accredits schools as Post Secondary, and DMV also certifies instructors. I would make sure the School you attend is on the State list, which can be found here: https://app.dca.ca.gov/bppe/default.asp
    The reason for using a school on the list is simple, unless they are mom and pop, most companies will make you go back through theirs, they will claim it is due to their insurer, and won't give you the tuition reimbursement, which most of the starter companies will pay you without signing a contract. Make sure the class is a minimum 160 hour course.
    If I were in Glendale, I would use either Alliance in Chatsworth, GSF in Sylmar, or Dolphin in Commerce. Some shy away from Alliance due to an issue with one of the owners defrauding the Federal Government, but they won't let you test unless they know you will pass, and it is all 1 on 1 instruction. GSF and Dolphin are group, and they will get you your license, just be prepared to do extra studying as they both group instruct and time is limited if you are having issues in an area.

Blu_Ogre and 1029384746 Thank this.
  10. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    I have come across truck drivers who say that both Will-Trans and Jim Palmer are decent companies to drive for.

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    They hired a couple of new grads that post on here. Maybe they bend the rules sometimes.
    One new grad said he was told they would hire him if he lived west of Knoxville, but the lived in North Carolina. Anyway, good luck in your new job.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.