New in the sector

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by behniwal, Oct 31, 2017.

1. behniwal

behniwal Bobtail Member

Oct 31, 2017
    hello all,

I'm starting to get into trucking and logistics and plan on making it an actual career. I've started learning dispatch not too long ago and one major problem I get is finding rates for loads. As I'm not very familiar with market rates, I have trouble negotiating for funds. Is there some website/spreadsheet that I can use for reference to get rates?

thanks all!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  4. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    The simple answer is really, "no." Market rates vary from market to market, time of day, situation, and day of the week, just to name a few factors. It chabges day to day, and is in constant flux.

5. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    Some load boards have rates that are reflective of the last 15 days. You must remember that all freight rates are negotiated. Right now we are having a problem with folks from other nations who are undercutting the rates. We have no problems with foreigners coming to America for Freedom as long as they refuse to haul CHEAP.

The bottom line on all freight would be to pay the driver $2.20 per mile plus FCS plus all tolls plus a premium for going into places that are hard to get out of. Also add in what you believe you should make. Remember most smaller companies have know idea how much they should pay. The above will give you the fair price not the going rate.

6. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Were it a perfect world, we could do this. This is, however, far from a perfect world. We are subject to the whims of the paying customers and what the market will bear out. I'd also point out that it isn't really the foreigners doing the undercutting, either- I find that they're actually better negotiators in the main than the native-born citizens.

That all said, I try to pay over market rate as often as possible, and work to keep my rates up. I prefer to have decent relationships with my carriers and take care of them where possible. Sometimes, I can't do that, though, due to customer needs.

boredsocial Thanks this.
  7. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    Dude this has been going on since long before we were even a country. Heck, many of the first people from other nations who were undercutting rates were brought here in chains.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.