New Pay Package

Discussion in 'Gordon' started by jande016, Oct 18, 2014.

1. jande016

jande016 Light Load Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Pacific NW
    First off, let me say that I do not work for Gordon. I have had interest in driving for them and that is how they received my email. Anyway, I just wanted to throw that out there so I'm not accused of being a recruiter or troll, I'm just trying to share info here. Ok, so, I received an email today about the new GTI pay package. The announcement and the chart are also posted on the GTI website. Effective date for the new rates is Nov. 02, 2014. I thought the rates were decent, although the annual increases are slow. I couldn't find out how much the detention pay is, I don't think they've released that info yet because on their website it says to stay tuned for more accessorial pay increase announcements. What does everyone else think about Gordon's new pay rates?

GORDON TRUCKING ANNOUNCES NEW PAY PACKAGE

We are pleased to announce a new, increased pay package for all Drivers! Check out our starting pay rates below. This is in addition to a comprehensive accessorial pay schedule featuring paid dock detention after only one hour, add a penny for all miles if you have a hazmat endorsement, add another $0.04 per mile for any miles run in Canada if you chose to go there, and another penny for our annual safety bonus!
    [​IMG]
    Gordon Trucking is well known for having exceptional equipment on the road, outstanding customer relationships, and an unparalleled driver-friendly culture throughout all of our terminals. We hope you’ll agree our new pay package is second to none for this type of work!
    From higher mileage and hourly rates to yearly increases from 1-20 years, this package is packed full of good news! We have also made positive changes to our accessorial pay and our bonus structure! This new pay package will not disappoint!
    If you’re interested in learning more about this new, exceptional pay package, simply reply to this email with your preferred contact number, give us a call at 888-832-6484 or go to www.TeamGTI.com to get an application started. We hope to hear from you soon!
    Sincerely,
    Gordon Trucking Recruiting Team

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    Victor_V and knuckledragger Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Victor_V

Victor_V Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Spencer, Indiana
    Has already been brought up by DenaliDad in another thread here, but no problem! A separate thread on this pay increase makes sense.

First, look at the timing. The pay increase goes into effect November 2, which means when HTLD issues its 10-Q on last quarter (July-August-September) performance, the 10-Q (which comes out shortly after that) will no doubt discuss this pay increase in some depth. I was looking forward to the 10-Q anyway, even more so now. Gerdin figures HTLD can afford this. Cool!

Second, look at HTLD's current stock price, $24.16, and it went up, not down on this announcement despite that we've been looking at an unstable market for the last two weeks or so. Took a lot of confidence to announce this in a market that's zooming up a couple hundred points after lots of volatility. Be interesting to compare this announcement with Swift's.

Third, we're moving into winter season when freight slows. Oh, there's still Xmas freight to deliver, the manufacturers of those Xmas goods wrapped their manufacturing up last quarter, retail is gearing up for the short window when they make or fail to make a profit for the year. From now through the first of the year is retail's make or break.

Smart to announce a pay increase going into a still-busy season that will be followed by doldrums. Lots of drivers bail when things slow down, blaming their companies for the low miles, yada, yada. Fact is, the first quarter of the year is slow--traditionally. Freight companies keep as many trucks and drivers to meet their peak demand in summer and this Xmas spurt. After that, they have to decide how to spread the pain, which typically they rotate. Everyone gets a little less.

And its a time to cull the herd. They do that, too, starving drivers out who don't fit as well as others. The drivers they want to keep will get miles, better pay and more likely to stay as a result.

Yuppo. Cruel world for some. Smart move to increase the likelihood the drivers you want to stay through winter, will actually stay.

tucker and knuckledragger Thank this.
  4. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    In my opinion - still too low.

Team pay 54 cpm after 10 years? I'd be dropping 14 cpm.

Solo for 42 cpm? I'd rather lease purchase a truck.

Driver pay still has a long way to go - but consider the available driver pool too.

Victor_V and 123456 Thank this.
  5. Victor_V

Dec 15, 2008
    Spencer, Indiana
    All you have to do is look at the 100% turnover rate for OTR to see that driver pay is too low. Bring pay up, turnover will drop accordingly. Not only that, the increase in the price of toilet paper wouldn't be much to raise driver pay to where turnover really starts to get to a reasonable level.

Raise driver pay, that will increase purchase of goods and help raise the economy. Raise the economy and trucking companies stay busy. The exemption of OTR drivers from minimum wage via HOS, mileage pay and time worked yet not paid for is a national shame, in my opinion.

Yes, reduce turnover and you'll raise the bar for new drivers as there will be fewer empty seats to fill.

Oh, yeah, and make roads and highways safer for all of us.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  6. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    They pay practical miles, I hope?

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  7. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Pay package Second to none....

Ha.

123456 and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  8. John Miles

John Miles Medium Load Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Monroe, NC
    Yep ... still too low ... they will only pay what they have to pay to keep the trucks rolling. Don't know how you OTR drivers make it on these wages when you have to pay for everything out there and still send home a little jack to the family. You guys ought to make double what you are making now ... just for resourcefulness if nothing else!

dsj3696 and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  9. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Re-read. "We HOPE you'll agree that the pay package is second to none"

I hope they believe in the Easter Bunny.

10. Victor_V

Dec 15, 2008
    Spencer, Indiana
    Travis Gordon apparently made the announcement at 9:56:00 am yesterday, Friday, October 17. Kinda ballsy because the stock market's been on a roller coaster lately and the announcement was made in the morning, not after the close of trading when you might expect for it to settle in over the weekend.

Here's a mouthful, too:

Oh, I can think of a couple members who might dispute that "no one [went] backwards in pay, benefits, or otherwise..."

Oh, yeah!

11. Victor_V

Dec 15, 2008
    Spencer, Indiana
    The announcement is very explicit that Gordon wants to pull in drivers from competitor companies and believes that this pay increase will do that and has a Pay Calculator to compare your $$.

Here's the pay calculator:

http://www.gordontrucking.com/gordo...dd3272e5|451f9e00-0193-4e17-9082-461093953b6c

knuckledragger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.