Newbie here

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Nov 30, 2018.

1. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Hey guys. I am R/R, your friendly neighbor from the local LTL sub folder above.

I just managed to get my foot in the door with TCW. I am not hired on yet, but it is looking promising.

So had a few questions. What does the job entail? I ran shipping containers when I did linehaul in Iraq. We started empty and went to a port, they would then load us using either a big sky crane or a T-Rex forklift that picked the connex from the top and set them down onto our trailers. I am guessing this process is similar in the civilian side?

But how much time do you spend driving vs waiting? And do you have to strip freight out of the containers at all between stops? Is it usually moving a conex from a port to a barn or do they go to random locations? If so, is it backing into a dock where they empty them out or do they pick off the conex and you move on empty?

Fuelinmyveins Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    I remember the first and last time I picked up a container.I was waiting in line and inadvertently left a little room in front of me.This pier rat in a truck ready for the boneyard came flying in,cutting in front of me and in the process ripped the driver's side mirror off the truck.Good thing there was a cop right there, cause I really wanted to hurt that guy.The cop told me I wouldn't get paid and he was right.He also told me they don't write those kind of people tickets because everything about them is bogus.That was over 20 years ago,so maybe things have changed.My advice, be careful and don't leave too much space in front of you.Good Luck,God Bless and I'll never forget.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.