No human truck drivers in 10 years?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by wyldhorses, Sep 25, 2012.

1. KE5WDP

KE5WDP Road Train Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Caddo Lake, Texas
    I only clicked on this thread to see who's posts were deleted.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jgremlin

jgremlin Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2010
    SW Michigan
    I'm pretty sure railroad engineers ain't strapping anything down when the locomotive shows up at a shipper. It won't be hard to adapt the model to trucking when the time comes.

4. Hellraiser78

Hellraiser78 Light Load Member

Jul 30, 2012
    PA
  5. Jumbo

Jumbo Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    Atleast they dont smell human........

6. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    I would never buy a car that drives itself. There are some of us that still enjoy driving. I know I do.

7. jgremlin

jgremlin Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Be careful about using the word never. Way back when, there were lots of people who said they would never have a toilet inside their house. After all inside the house is where you keep your food and eat your meals. Many felt that to have a toilet in the same building would be uncivilized. I think we all know how that turned out.

8. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Good point.

9. boxxxtrucker

boxxxtrucker Light Load Member

I'd prefer not to, as you're completely incorrect...

If and when the automated system fails, you will still need a Class A driver behind the wheel to take over and operate just as they would in standard driving. Just because the #### thing *can* drive itself doesn't necessarily mean it always *will* Have you ever owned an Ipod? Those things are automated, and they're buggy as hell too. If they can't even perfect a way to listen to mp3s, do you really think we'll ever see an errorless automated commercial vehicle. Not in my lifetime. So the class A driver will indeed live on. And thrive, I predict. Because anything that'll reduce stress and bring ease of use to the industry is certainly a PLUS over all...

10. vikingswen

vikingswen Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere
    Caterpillar did a mine in South America 30 years ago with self driving off road dump trucks. It worked great in that setting. Production went up. Life of the equipment went up by 30%. I don't know how long they ran that project since I was not personally involved. I just took training classes from one of the techs involved years back. I think we are still needed since somebody got to take the fall when something goes wrong.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.