No loads in 3 weeks

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Justflappingmygums, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Justflappingmygums

Justflappingmygums Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2018
    I'm new to the freight brokerage scene, by new I mean 3 weeks in as the only broker in a brokerage company. The owner opened it up on the side to bolster his already moderately successful sprinter van carrier company. I started as a Dispatcher for the carrier company and excelled because I have a very personable personality. After two months of dispatching I was "promoted" to Broker for the Brokerage company. I'm a quick study, and I work hard. in 3 weeks and after thousands of cold calls and emails I have 5 customers who ship weekly, the only issue is they don't like the prices I give them even though I'm basing my quotes off what I'm getting from carriers, so I'm not securing loads from them. I'm constantly working to expand my pool of carriers, get new customers, and secure loads. Then today my boss looks at me and says "you're not working hard enough, or you're doing something wrong". I have no idea what I'm doing wrong though. I'm in the office by 9-10 am and stay till 6-7 depending, but I'm working on this from home and on the weekends as well. In 3 Weeks I haven't moved one load and I feel terrible about it, but at the same time I also help out on the carrier side of things on a daily basis whenever they encounter problems they don't have time to fix. Can anyone experienced in this field please give me some solid advice, I'm not looking for a hand out or a quick fix (they don't exist). I know I'm failing at this but I don't know why.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RoadRooster

RoadRooster Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    You are starting a business from scratch. There is no such thing as overnight success.

The secret is not that you want the customer to deal with you, but, what does the customer need most and how you understand their need and how you propose to solve THEIR problem.

Cold calls and emails are easy to dodge, try cold visits.

Good luck with it.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  4. Justflappingmygums

Aug 9, 2018
    Its not a Brand new business really, they've had the brokerage up and running for about a year, they just never had time to really invest themselves into it. They have a few customers that use them to ship but they only ship 3-5 times a month so its very sporadic.

RoadRooster Thanks this.
  5. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    3 weeks is extremely early in the sales cycle. The fact that your bosses don't know this is a little bit scary.

BoyWander, dsanchez, Lite bug and 2 others Thank this.
  6. Justflappingmygums

Aug 9, 2018
    This is exactly what I’ve been thinking, I mean just the fact that I’m 3 weeks I’ve sourced out 5 customers that are willing to work with me blows my mind, for this individual to sit there today and tell me I’m not busting my ### is just ridiculous. Hell one of the companies ships rebar all day everyday from one location and it’s all local loads (nothing over 300 miles) so I sourced carriers in that area so I would have a pool of about 7-10 so I’d always be able to cover them. She said “ It’s been a week, move on to another customer, you’re just wasting time” 1 week isn’t enough time to get a large company to even staple a piece of paper let alone review my bid, my company’s mc number and get back to me to even let me know if my prices are in the ballpark for what they’re shipping.

7. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    For what it's worth, it took me several months to get off the ground. A year and a half to get to where I was starting to make pretty decent money. Three weeks and having at least gotten in front of five customers is actially fairly solid. When you're first starting out, it can be a pretty lean time.

Your boss isn't looking at this very well. I have customers that took me months to finally crack, and that paid dividends. This is a relational business. Establishing rapport and relationships is how you create long term business. Giving up after a week is not.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  8. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Seriously my main account right now I worked for a year before it moved the first load. 5 accounts in three weeks is fine. I would probably hire anyone who could prove that they had actually done this on the spot if I got the sense that they had a bunch more cold calling left in their soul.

PPDCT Thanks this.
  9. Justflappingmygums

Aug 9, 2018
    Haha I’ve got at least 10000 more cold calls in me lol, cold calling is a lot like dating a catholic girl, it’s boring and you hear no a lot but some day you’re gonna get that yes and it’s gonna be legendary

10. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    And that right there is why you'll be alright. Might make more sense to find someone else if you want to broker, that has a better understanding of the brokerage side of the industry.

Tug Toy and boredsocial Thank this.
  11. dsanchez

dsanchez Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Miami, Florida
    Best of luck to you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.