No more manuals?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mr. EastCoast, Dec 29, 2020.

1. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    Off road autos have to be in manual mode or you'll never get your foot off the brakes. Our dedicated highway units are auto but anything in the bulk(off road) is manual. I like autos for highway application but they have left me broke down on the side of road many times,,,fine with me a I get hourly when stopped:D

jamespmack Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    No thanks.

I personally prefer "technology" to not suck. :biggrin_25511:

4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    One of the limitations of the auto-shift is "pulling". By "pulling" I mean trying to move under say 5 or 6 inches ONLY. I have seen auto-shifts "jump" and hit things. The reason is you have to use more RPMs than normal and when this happens an auto-shift will jump. With this said, however, I have smelled a lot of burned clutch in some similar situations with manuals. It all goes back to knowing how to frickin drive a dang truck! I always liked and preferred a manual. I know of more than one auto-shift driver that though a jake would hold them on a grade in drive, that discovered later it won't!

I won't take the time to go back and post the comment # here. But as has already been said, the MEGAs would have the majority of their units parked right now if they were 100% manual. Auto-shifts are here to stay. I suspect as much as 70% of all truckers today can't correctly operate a manual. I have seen broken and rounded off gears and more burned clutches then I care to admit. It is what it is. Learning how to AND correctly operating a manual is a dying skill. I give it another 20+ years and it's very likely 90+% of all CDL holders will have that dang auto restriction!

I should also add busted Power Dividers and Universal Joint's to those things I made bold!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  5. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    It's unreal how many trucks I see parked for their 10 and their reverse lights are on all night.

Rubber duck kw and TripleSix Thank this.
  6. Dave1837

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    I drove an automatic/automated whatever one time and I have never felt more out of control of a vehicle in my life. The free wheeling and constantly shifting to a higher gear is not how trucks should be operated, especially trucks pulling tankers.

In my opinion, automatics are the reason there's so many dumb truck drivers out there. All they need to learn is what "D, N and R" stand for. Start everyone out in a 13, 15 or 18 speed and if they want an automatic later on down the road that's fine, but spend at least a year shifting gears so you know how the freaking truck operates.

Are autos completely useless? Absolutely not. I know many drivers who prefer them due to previous surgeries or arthritis. They do have major benefits to some people.

7. Cowboyrich

Cowboyrich Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Dayton, Washington
    Are autos completely useless? Absolutely not. I know many drivers who prefer them due to previous surgeries or arthritis. They do have major benefits to some people.

This was the case for my dad, about 10 years before he passed the side effects from polio started to set in and really bothered his legs and shoulders so when he replaced his truck the last time he went automatic and it worked out good for him, once he learned how to use it, but he even would still say on occasion he wished he had the control of the 13 speed he normally ran.
    This truck is now in my driveway a hair over 1.2m and the trans has only had its timely PM's. (As I knock on wood for saying it)

13 Speed Road Ranger Thanks this.
  8. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    For many years I felt the same way. Still, to this day there is a part of me that wishes it were possible to do. Unfortunately, that dog will never hunt! It's not possible to teach the average newcomer how to operate a manual in a few weeks or even a month or two. It takes a while to become seasoned. Over the years I have spoken to many mechanics, both company mechanics, and mechanics in the dealerships and private shops. These people are destroying transmission gears, burning up clutches, busting power dividers and universal joints almost as quick as a mechanic can fix them. I know of two carriers that made this switch to auto shifts because it was costing them out the yang to keep their manuals on the road. YES, both were training carriers. I can remember many years ago being I think it was the Kroger warehouse in Houston and the smell of burned clutch was so bad it almost gagged me. Same in some truckstops. It's almost like some greenhorns loved the smell of clutch.

Dave1837 Thanks this.
  9. Dave1837

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    I agree. Mega training carriers are taking the easy way out and buying trucks that anyone can drive. I'm sure they're spending just as much money in torn off bumpers and fairings though! LOL

Bean Jr. and gentleroger Thank this.
  10. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Res ipsa loquitur!!

Bean Jr. and Dave1837 Thank this.
  11. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Stay away from plastic trucks and you may find more 18 and 13 speeds. Old iron is still going to be around because some people still care about a work ethic and class.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.