No sympathy

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Flat Earth Trucker, May 14, 2021.

1. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    I still have not received a reply. Maybe I'll cast a wider net.

Bud A., PacoTaco and LoSt_AgAiN Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Flat Earth Trucker

Nov 19, 2018
    Sent another email asking for an update to 9 news.

Bud A. and PacoTaco Thank this.
  4. Flat Earth Trucker

Nov 19, 2018
  5. Flat Earth Trucker

Nov 19, 2018
    "Thanks for reaching out. The date has moved quite a lot. As of now, I believe trial for Rogel Aguilera-Mederos Lazaro is set to start on Sept. 24, 2021.

Stephanie"

Received this reply minutes after sending an email inquiry.

I am curious to know who Rogel's legal counsel is now.

Bud A., NavigatorWife, stwik and 3 others Thank this.
  6. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    I thought the articles stated that he was getting a public defender.

7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Didn't he have a gofundme for a lawyer? Or was that just for bail so he could run back home to Mexico?

8. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    He's Cuban, but yeah.

Flat Earth Trucker and ZVar Thank this.
  9. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    Why don’t many guys try friction braking? Like maybe I watched too many cartoons but I always figured if something like that ever did happen the guard rail or side of a mountain would make a hell of a friction surface against the side of the truck.
    Or pick the softest spot you can find and wile e coyote it. You might be F’d but atleast you won’t kill some innocent person.

10. PacoTaco

PacoTaco Medium Load Member

Apr 16, 2016
    South Texas
    He had several chances to go into the ditch before he crashed into stopped traffic. He probably would have been injured or killed but at least he wouldn't have hurt anyone else. If I ever managed to find myself in a similar situation I'd at least make sure I didn't take any innocent lives with me.

11. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    Worse, he had an absolutely perfect shot at the runaway ramp and swerved left across two lanes instead. (There's video of this out on the internets.) He would have known it was a runaway ramp if 1) he had more than 3 months of driving experience, 2) someone had trained him how to drive down a grade, and 3) he could read English.

He says his brakes failed, but just before the runaway ramp there's an upgrade that's long enough to stop a truck with no brakes, and even a brake cooling area where you can pull off before you go down the last hill. Then there are several signs (with lots of flashing yellow lights) for the runaway ramp. It's a good runaway ramp, too. I wouldn't hesitate to take it if necessary. It will stop a truck loaded heavy.

There was literally no excuse for this wreck. Four people killed, a dozen injured, 28 vehicles destroyed, and the judge says, Oh, you want to stay at home in Houston with no ankle bracelet while you wait 2 1/2 years for your trial? You're a good-looking guy and the Spanish-speaking voter population has surged here in JeffCo, so sure, no problem. (Colorado judges are appointed by a commission but they face a retention vote every few years.)

I'm still beyond disgusted every time I pass the sad little wooden crosses on the shoulder where he killed those people.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.