Non-CAT Scales

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by JC1971, Mar 24, 2016.

1. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    I wonder how often it even gets that far

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    I doubt very often, unless the officer is really adamant his scale is more accurate. Or there is such a discrepancy (thousands of pounds) that he doesn't believe you could be under the max.

Now I'm curious.

4. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    I figure since the burden of proof is on the state, they will have to get their scale checked and possibly calibrated on their dime so you figure even if it got to court they would probably just dismiss the charge.

5. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

I have never worried as long is it a certified scale....The same people that test Cat scales check the other scales too....Dept of weight and measures....

6. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I can't find the thread, but a forum member worked scale houses before. He said with budget cutbacks many states aren't calibrating scales like they should. If overweight tickets are given surprisingly few drivers or companies fight them. CAT scales are calibrated more frequently and have less use and abuse (like drivers slamming on the brakes because they're pissed).

7. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Many of the dairy farms I've loaded out here have on-site scales that were either purchased, leased, or maintained in some way by a "Rustys Weigh". I've had some drivers go and get a "second opinion" at a CAT scale and they came out reasonably close when comparing the two weights. The scale at the one current dairy I load at every day is about 100-300 pounds off from the nearest CAT scale in Amarillo. I just shut the pump off when the milk level is nearing the end bottom of one of my self-made measuring sticks it always comes out reasonably okay. Usually around the 48k-49k mark when weighed at the dairy scale, or another CAT scale the long-haul guy uses.

As far as weighing the tanker goes, I typically leave the brakes off and let the slosh settle.

EZ Money Thanks this.
  8. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

I used to always use free scales at the shippers...Not hard to axle it out even if it just gives you gross weights.
    Most shippers will allow it.
    I noticed pulling tank now a couple scales did not wait for the surge to settle and just flipped the green light.

bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  9. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    This, scaled last week at Petro, ND, did not seem right, rescaled at Cat. When I got to Weigh Station cat proved itself right, and Petro was almost 800lb off

10. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Forgot to add, I was at 79k

11. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Yup I been 400 off to 1000 off. Dot do have some lenient on it. When I pulled container I been 500 over crossing the scale.

I had a few bad cat scale and drove to the next truck stop and scale again.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.