Nussbaum Transportation

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by STL-Dario, Mar 19, 2021.

1. STL-Dario

STL-Dario Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2018
    The purpose of this post is to share my experiences, insights, and opinions about Nussbaum Transportation. I would also like to invite anyone seeking additional information to PM me and I will find the answer or guide them in the right direction.

Overall Nussbaum is a great mid-size (450 trucks) company to drive for - this is my opinion and the opinion of 95% of the drivers I have interacted with in my 1.5 years as a Nussbaum driver. One part of the culture I appreciate the most is the company’s continuous effort to become even better - the company is not complacent with where it is. Another notable attribute is the companies efforts to promote diversity within the organization - both seen (race) and unseen (religion) diversities.

In my time as a driver, I have heard horror stories from drivers about the first company they driver for. Things like never getting home or being directed to break the law (clock issues); such things will not happen at Nussbaum. It is my opinion that Nussbaum has found the balance of doing things in a way that satisfies both the needs of the driver and of the business. This is a common belief with drivers whether from a newbie like myself who hired on as a trainee or drivers who joined the company with several years experience.

The main terminal is in the Bloomington, IL area, however, drivers are not required to park there on weekends - I live an St. Louis and the company arranged for parking at no charge to me. When I need maintenance completed on my truck I will either be routed to the main terminal or the shop will identify a third-party near me and set up an appointment. The equipment is very well maintained and drivers are encouraged to report repair needs. The fleet is 100% Freightliner (2018-2021) and I received a new truck after 6-months of driving a 2018. The trucks are all automatic and do have forward and driver facing cameras (highly debated in industry but is what it is). All trucks have APUs (heat and AC), refrigerators, upper/lower bunk, and come other amenities.

Nussbaum’s pay-scale is acceptable in my opinion. For me, I do not look at base pay as the only factor in compensation, I also consider benefits such as health insurance, 401k/Roth match, work-life-balance, compensation increase potential (certifications and time), etc. Naturally, like most people, I would like to make more money but Nussbaum does it’s part and the rest is up to the individual. Currently, I make approximately $0.53 per mile and with some additional in-house certifications I can increase this by $0.02 each year (caps at $0.06 I believe). As a company dry van driver maintaining an average of 2,600 miles weekly and being home most (almost all) weekends, I feel this is fair.

This is a great transition to the one thing that I wish was different at Nussbaum. I wish there was more specialized types of freight the company hauled; examples include tanker (cryogenics), autos, oversized loads, etc. The company does have a very small book of flat-bed business but nothing significant at this time. This is the only reason I will eventually part ways with Nussbaum - I would like to enter into cryogenics transportation.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2021
    Reason for edit: Soliciting referrals.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    I think this is one of the best first posts on here in a long time. Refreshing!

Now tell me, is there ANY fuel savings device ever invented that Nussbaum doesn’t have on either their trucks or trailers?

4. BM 58

BM 58 Heavy Load Member

Jun 25, 2019
    I never talked to one of their hands. Equipment always looks clean and well maintained.

Need4Speed Thanks this.
  5. STL-Dario

STL-Dario Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2018
    Great question! Short answer is, no. I get 9.1MPG and some drivers do even better. The company seems to embrace the ROI with the various gadgets.

Trucker61016, Lonesome and Frank Speak Thank this.
  6. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    I’ve met a handful of their drivers over the years. Even the “oddballs” seemed happy and rigs were always clean.

Maverick Griff and Need4Speed Thank this.
  7. STL-Dario

STL-Dario Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2018
    Nussbaum definitely embraces all diversities to include “oddballs”. In fact, I may be in this group.....

The CEO will personally call drivers who score highly on a cleanliness report performed by the shop. Additionally, a clean truck adds points to the driver scorecard which results in a higher bonus. In my opinion, this is easy money.

8. Tjs041954

Tjs041954 Bobtail Member

Apr 28, 2021
    Ohio
    Hate the inward cameras, had them at Decker. 24 hour babysitter..

Zangief, CorsairFanboy and sevenmph Thank this.
  9. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    The minute I read they have driver facing cameras I bailed..thanks for such an informative post though

10. Jake_Blue

Jake_Blue Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2013
    Lebanon, Indiana
    To clarify, both cameras (forward facing and driver facing) are only event-triggered and not 'always on' where someone from the company can randomly check up on the driver. Event triggers include G-forces and tailgating so even though you may not do something wrong per se their intention with the technology is to make drivers better and safer, not punish them. If the cameras record an event several times a day that also doesn't mean you should expect a bunch of phone calls. The circumstances of each event are screened by the camera provider first and only serious and avoidable situations are flagged for teachability. Also in the event of an actual accident the video footage can be what exonerates the driver because we all know when a big rig is involved the trucker is guilty until proven innocent.

11. CorsairFanboy

CorsairFanboy Medium Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    Do not believe the lies. Not saying they "do" but they certainly can, check the cameras remotely at any given moment.

I am glad there are still people with a back bone that do not settle for those invasion of privacy devices.

Zangief, Need4Speed, Gomer1969 and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.