NY HUT sticker

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by mitmaks, Dec 7, 2018.

1. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    I switched to another company and I still have orange NY HUT sticker on my truck. Do I need to get different sticker for my truck? Am I required to have a copy of NY HUT registration on me as well or just the sticker?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tadpolly1966

tadpolly1966 Light Load Member

Aug 29, 2017
    First of all, the orange sticker is what they call the 22nd series. They expire at the end of 2018. You need series 23, which are yellow. I provide these stickers to all my owner operators. Your company should be able to get this for you. If you're running your own authority you will need to get it yourself. Costs $1.50. I believe that once you have the sticker on your truck, you do not need to have a copy o the HUT registration in the truck. However it is not a bad idea. Better too much documentation than not enough in this case.

Mattflat362, KB3MMX, dynamite and 4 others Thank this.
  4. Omega1

Omega1 Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Oregon
    I don't know the new regs concerning the HUT registration, but I was told by a company owner....who I'm about to go to work for, that the HUT stickers are no longer required....This was addressed when I questioned no HUT on a brand new truck.

5. dynamite

dynamite Light Load Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Wisconsin
    I just received mine so I think you still need the sticker or trip permit.

6. Hegemeister

Hegemeister Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Just got a new yellow one last month.

7. tadpolly1966

tadpolly1966 Light Load Member

Aug 29, 2017
    FROM THE NYS TAX WEBSITE:

Decals - Highway Use Tax
    Tax Bulletin HU-160 (TB-HU-160)
    Printer-Friendly Version (PDF)Issue Date: April 13, 2016
    Introduction
    The Highway Use Tax Law requires a HUT or AFC decal to be affixed to each motor vehicle.

• A HUT decal is required for each tractor and any truck that is required to have a HUT certificate of registration (C of R) to operate on New York State public highways and does not transport automotive fuel. The HUT certification and decal fee is $1.50 per vehicle. The fee includes both a C of R and decal for each motor vehicle.
    • An AFC certificate of registration and decal is required for each truck, trailer, semitrailer, or other attached vehicle that transports automotive fuel on New York State public highways. The AFC certification and decal fee is $1.50 per vehicle. The fee includes both a C of R and AFC decal for each motor vehicle.
    A decal is not transferable and is valid until it expires or is revoked, suspended, or surrendered.

I just ordered and received 28 series 23 (latest series) HUT stickers from the State of New York. I would take any comments saying these stickers are not required with a grain of salt.

KB3MMX and Omega1 Thank this.
  8. Omega1

Omega1 Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Oregon
    Thanks everyone, I'm going to look into it. I'm not sure why I was told that considering the company owner is a former DOT officer. I'll get the straight scoop and a better understanding in a few days.

9. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA

They were sued.

Sticker fees were too high so they reduced them.... And refunded some of the cost difference.

Stickers still required.

Hegemeister and mitmaks Thank this.
  10. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    they tried a series without the decals and compliance was so bad they re-started it 6 years ago...

One of our tractors had one taped onto a new bumper got stopped in NY after it fell off...had to order a replacement...

Everything can be done on-line.

BTW New York monitors IRP & IFTA returns looking for carriers who are reporting NY miles without having an active HUT account. I fixed ours, the company skipped out on the the series before I was hired and they sent us 6 quarters of fines around $1200.00 based on 80K weight at the number of miles shown on our IFTA returns. Since we have smaller trucks, I was able to re-calculate each quarter at the correct rate and got the invoice under $700.00

You can pay them now -or- you can pay them later...

nikmirbre Thanks this.
  11. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Can you tell me where/how to open a NY HUT account online? Im using google and idk if im clicking on the right ones or not but im kinda lost......

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.