Off Time Due To Hernia Operation

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by terryg247, Mar 16, 2019.

1. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    scared the crap outta me, and i told him first, it might tear open.....!!!

x1Heavy and 25(2)+2 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I do not believe he has many viable options. Canadian socialized healthcare. Hopefully if everything goes to hell they will act sooner.

homeskillet and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ive been wrestling with medical insurance situation for a long time. When I was trucking and so forth I paid my benefits as did the company. God knows the Insurance people got their money, I think BCBS was around 800 every three months for the top level whatever you want. We never touched it but a few ER visits when we got hit too hard and see stars or not feel well.

Fast forward to medicare which was established for 65 and older as well as disabled workers provided they pay a premium monthly and cover 20% of what is not paid by MC. I am unsustainable. Consider the premiums I suppose on the order of 200 a month 2500 a year roughly for er.. 15 plus years now at least. That's 37500 paid to dear Uncle Sam.

Well the previous surgery and associated care burned that really fast in a few short months. With the statistical chance that I will have at least one more and beginning to see evidence of system failure elsewhere in the body.

It's cheaper the insurance people say to buy a 14000 dollar part and replace it than to ship me to a nursing home operating at very high costs taking my check which is really a pittance when matched against 24/7 care. Hospice is 600 a day limited to 6 months. and so on etc. There is a chance that I may in some form get on the road again which I think is wonderful, but a small chance. I am facing around 30 more years of decline that will probably in time breach a million in medical insurance covered care. Ive already had about oh. roughly 240,000 dollars worth of work done so far. Some of which is really important and live saving. But what is this life? More of the same?

I should remember the preemie care I got for 5 months at Mercy in Baltimore. The billing became so grosteque that the Cardinal pretty much ripped it all up because the Parents only had one lifetime of earnings and it would not begin to cover it. Did they get their money's worth of my life? Only God knows. I think so. But ha. there are easier ways to show up in this earth than that.

My mindset is not to be a burden and I will not. But until then life is something worth getting out of bed for in the morning. Just thinking for the thousands of miles spent when so many people sleep it away worrying about small stuff like school and 9 to 5 work.

Canada? I don't know enough of their system to compare. It took months to get proper surgery done right in my case, they could have done it overnight back in march if i showed up in UAMS when that joint broke. But it would not have been the quality I think it has been fortunate to have.

5. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I worked for an American trucking company out of a Canadian terminal back in the 1990s.

Clinton's healthcare overhaul was the big news, touting "Canadian-style healthcare".

20 drivers at that terminal. Myself and 19 Canadians.

All the Canadians said Americans need to fight this tooth and nail, because "Canadian healthcare looks good on paper, but sucks in practice".

Everyone at that terminal said they either had a relative, or knew a friend who had a relative, that died waiting for an operation.

They also said that a lot of Canadians go to the USA for operations.

I'm sure healthcare is as much a hot-button issue in Canada as it is in the USA. I'm sure everything I just said could be either confirmed or debunked, depending upon which magazine articles were carefully selected.

It's just what I heard from multiple sources that I believe to be reliable.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
  7. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Many/most people in the US do not realize we have experience with socialized healthcare in the US.

The VA is basically socialized healthcare for veterans. And it has had some very serious issues over the decades.

If we cannot provide consistently high quality health care for millions of ex-military veterans who served our country, how much worse will it be if we expand it to cover everyone?

The answer is not difficult. Universal health care cannot be anything other than an even more terrible VA.

jammer910Z and homeskillet Thank this.
  8. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    Hernia repair is very advanced now.

I had a surgical repair hernia in my abdomen repaired (softball sized), and an inguinal in the groin at the same time.

The abdominal repair required a longer heal because of the shear size and tissue repair from previous surgery.
    The groin repair, I was told I could go back to work in 2 weeks (if not for the other).

The less strenuous your job, the sooner you'll be allowed back.
    If you just drive... probably a day or 3.

I unload my freight. It's strenuous.
    Good news is... I give it a beating and they're holding strong almost three years later.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    ctekrat Thanks this.
  9. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    People that want socialized medicine need to do no more than to go sit at a VA clinic and observe for a bit.

Then, they need to go to the DMV to prove it's not a fluke.

The govt can't run a cupcake shop properly.

Farmerbob1 and homeskillet Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.