Okay. I finallypulled the trigger

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by MericanMade, Jan 1, 2020.

1. MericanMade

MericanMade Heavy Load Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Pensacola, FL
    May is an OTR company out of Pensacola, right? Not home much?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Eggroll'n Trucker

Eggroll'n Trucker Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2018
    Every 7 days out you get 1 day of home time, of course I always asked for a little more time off and they never questioned it. They want you out at least 2-3 weeks.

But don't go to May @Whyte Trashe read on indeed that it's low paying lol $5-$6k gross per month is poverty

dwells40 Thanks this.
  4. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    I lived there when I worked there. I went out 3 weeks and came home (usually 5 days). They advertise 1 day home for every week out but, again, they treat their good drivers pretty well.

I took off for almost 3 weeks when I was moving and my DM and Terminal Manager never batted an eye about it.

Don’t get me wrong, I would never recommend them as a permanent gig, but if you’re just starting out, or need a gig while you search for a “dream gig”, you could do a lot worse.

5. MericanMade

MericanMade Heavy Load Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Pensacola, FL
    My wife says that's not too bad. Shoot, don't the oil rig workers in the Gulf do 6 weeks on and 6 weeks off? Anyway, it's not my first choice doing OTR, but I realize I need to get that year under my belt somehow.

dwells40 Thanks this.
  6. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    They were the first company I drove for. Did my year and moved on to greener pastures. Then, I went back 4 or 5 years ago and worked there for about 18 months or so until I found the “gig of a lifetime” that I have now.

So, obviously, they filled a need for me a couple of times. If you decide to go there, there’s a few of us here on the TTR that can help you make the most your experience there and avoid as many headaches as possible.

7. Eggroll'n Trucker

Eggroll'n Trucker Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2018
    Remember, it's just a stepping stone to bigger and better things.

MericanMade and dwells40 Thank this.
  8. WakeUpTheEchoes

WakeUpTheEchoes Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Irving, TX
    You mentioned how little the trucking industry pays...
    Now you mention not doing it since 2012. You do realize that this was 8 years ago and that the country was still recovering from a deep recession, right? I just find it odd that you are so convicted in your opinions that are outdated. If you had more recent experience, then I would defer to you. But, there are tons of drivers on this forum with more recent trucking experience telling a very different story. Might it be that something has happened that is keeping you out of the trucking industry and it now has you bitter? You certainly sound bitter. Anyway, I really don’t know at all for myself...YET, but I’ll soon be learning what is the current state of trucking in America.

Eggroll'n Trucker Thanks this.
  9. WakeUpTheEchoes

WakeUpTheEchoes Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Irving, TX
    I am considering May Trucking after completing my CDL training. I looked up reviews on May. It was typical of what I have seen for other “starter” trucking companies, which is mixed reviews on Indeed. Perhaps you didn’t see the positive reviews because you didn’t want to see any. If you are so down on the idea of trucking, why are you a member of this forum? Just inquiring.

Eggroll'n Trucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.