Old Dominion--A Newbie's Experience

Discussion in 'Old Dominion' started by cellopudding, Aug 16, 2013.

1. cellopudding

cellopudding Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN

Line haul, definitely. I've done a few city runs, mainly to Cooper tires and Wabash, but I like linehaul more. The money is better, and the only thing you have to do besides drive, is assemble and/or disassemble your set when you reach your destination. The only thing sucky about running L/H is going to Chicago. OD has three terminals in the Chicagoland area, and if one doesn't have freight to send back, they'll send you all over Chicagoland looking for freight.

Nightwind8830 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cellopudding

Apr 22, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Are you running to Fargo, or out of Fargo? Brrrrrr!

4. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    66.3 CPM in reality. 7200 miles on a good week.

TequilaSunrise Thanks this.
  5. cellopudding

Apr 22, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Is that split? Or are you both making that rate on all miles?

Thanks for reading! I love working for OD!

Nightwind8830 Thanks this.
  6. Boy Howdey

Boy Howdey Medium Load Member

May 22, 2013
    It's split. Works like .3325 for all miles per driver.

Say the team does 6500 miles. Each driver gets paid .3325x6500= $2,161.25 per driver.

Or .665x6500= $4,322.50. And the drivers split that $4,322.50.

It's the exact same math either way.

7. mxpx148

mxpx148 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2013
    NEPA, PA
    ####!! After I get a little experience looks like i'm going to look for someone near me that wants to team lol! Is it hard to get in running teams with OD or are they like a lot of OTR carriers that are dying to put together good teams? Don't know how it works with LTL carriers.

8. glenburinetrucker

glenburinetrucker Bobtail Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Hey guys I got a offer with od for linehaul overnight going about 220 miles back and forth a night for five days a week its pretty cake but they are having problems getting info about the school and because its been.taking long I had to take the job with Schneider doing tanker its not bad its I they give 38cents a mile plus other pay then a sign on... Its OTR thou not liking that but if od hits me and tell me come thru should I or should I just tough it out here thanks for the comments guys

9. 5.56

5.56 Light Load Member

Apr 21, 2012
    INDY
    Cello , check your PM's .

10. Flightline

Flightline Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    You keep telling yourself that. I was there just couple months ago and was told the same before I started.
    Then once you're there, they start everyone out running team, half of 61.5, unless they changed things in the last month.
    And you don't split, you get have the miles. If the other driver has say 3 years in, he will get 66 mile x half the miles.

I'm not saying it's not good pay, I'm just correcting your on the correction since your going there.
    Also that is gross pay, wait till you see how much gets taken out of that. The net is more like 1400 per driver.

As of two months ago, they were begging for teams. Otherwise everyone starts out as a combo driver (work P&D or linehaul) which every they need.

11. Wild Root

Wild Root Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2013
    East Tennessee
    I work at od and it was def .54 cpm starting after cdl training (no previous driving) Linehaul running teams out 5 or 6 days. Split the miles. Top out was .64 or maybe it was .66 cpm

Flightline Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.