Old Dominion P&D

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by HiramKingWilliams, Aug 10, 2020.

1. HiramKingWilliams

HiramKingWilliams Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    Are those wages after topping-out after a few years? I'd be going in straight outta CDL school. Are they strict to not go over 45 hours or can you actually get decent O/T?

Bakari742 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HiramKingWilliams

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
  4. Muskie

Muskie Medium Load Member

Feb 27, 2019
    Raiders10 and jmz Thank this.
  5. Danny707

Danny707 Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2019
    I would look into UPS FedEx at least they pay OT after 8hrs. ABF and YRC do as well idk if they keep you as busy with OT like the 2 mentioned above. In Virginia new LTL driver P&D pay is 22.50hr top scale is as at $29hr and change.

Raiders10 and HiramKingWilliams Thank this.
  6. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Meh, trying to think of some useful information to add. All the alphabet companies are more or less the same. When I worked at Reddaway in Montana, the ODFL guy I talked to said some of the same stuff I am reading on here. High starting pay and higher cap out plus OT after 60. Their benefits cost alot though.

My bottom line and I will be perfectly honest. If we polled all the top, all the middle, and all the new drivers from each company from the same area; and compared pay and medical benefits, this whole thing would be a wash. I could almost guarantee that every single person from the same group of employees would be within $8k of each other annually based on their respective companies.

Great pay, Great Equipment, Crappy benefits
    Great pay, Crappy Equipment, Good benefits
    Crappy pay, Great Equipment, Great benefits

It's always the same cycle ...unless you work for NPT or MTS... Then it's crappy pay, crappy benefits, crappy equipment. I would not even apply there.

speedyk, Speed_Drums, TrknBozo and 6 others Thank this.
  7. snowbird_89

snowbird_89 Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I would look into Fedex Freight for the driver apprentice position. They pay OT after 40 hours too. Good pay and good equipment too.

Raiders10 and HiramKingWilliams Thank this.
  8. HiramKingWilliams

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    From their P&D ad:

“Must have 12 months previous tractor-trailer driving experience and/or be a graduate of a State Certified, Licensed and Safety Department approved driving school, and/or have satisfactorily completed the Old Dominion Truck Driver Training school“

The bold is where I’d qualify.

Raiders10 Thanks this.
  9. Muskie

Muskie Medium Load Member

Feb 27, 2019
    Agree, but it was the same a little over a year ago, as in your shoes, when I tried numerous times to apply and was finally told that both qualifications were needed (I also pointed out the discrepancies in the and/or qualifications). They said come back in a year with experience. Now I'm at Estes.

10. Bakari742

Bakari742 Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2016
    United States
    There’s plenty of overtime if you’re willing to hustle

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.