On Tour Logistics (OTL)

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Diantane, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Diantane

Diantane Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Alderson, WV
    It also takes a different personality to be an OTL driver. If it’s all about MONEY MONEY MONEY to you, if you’re used to clawing and scraping, jump the line, pass everyone, cheat on the logs, drive 70 on a 55, dog eat dog, etc., then OTL is not for you. There has been days in OTL where we are up all day and then asked to drive all night. So it is not easy work either.

At all times we work as a team. When asked to do something, we always do more than is requested. Helping each other. If an inexperienced driver has trouble backing into a tight space, they simply drop their trailer and a veteran driver backs it in as the new driver watches and learns. I’ve spent hours teaching young drivers advanced driving techniques When the ramp under each trailer is put into place, everyone works on one ramp at a time.

You have to want to work hard and play hard. There are long periods of downtime while the bands are playing or loads that won’t be ready for a week (this isn’t just paper or soda pop, it is highly technical equipment that is set up and custom built for each show. It is also very powerful. The subwoofers were vibrating my sleeper walls from two miles away during a sound check). There are also weeks of driving every day or night to the 70 hour limit. You just have to keep in mind that you are getting paid the same for all of it. Doesn’t matter if you have to drive across the entire country or sit in your sleeper for a week or even watch the bands perform and cheer with 50,000 fans. The money is always the same.

You won’t be sitting in a long line of trucks waiting to get offloaded. The team is offloaded at once and the 150+ stagehands are ready when you are.

It usually takes six months to transfer from one division to another at Averitt, but OTL has high priority loads and will transfer interested drivers in as little as 4-6 weeks after working in another company division. The policy of Averitt is, they promote from within. Even managerial staff may have once worked on the dock or been a driver in Truckload or LTL. Believe me, it was well worth the wait!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    tscottme and archangelic peon Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. archangelic peon

archangelic peon Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2011
    I always wonder about that; from west Knoxville I40 all the way up through the Morristown,TN area on I81 is truck 55mph car 65mph, yet it always seems as though I am the only one going remotely close to 55...

Thought it might be an antiquated law everyone knows better about & they just haven't changed the signs yet but better safe then ticketed.

Well written information, thank you.

4. Diantane

Nov 13, 2010
    Alderson, WV
    The speed was reduced to lower pollution. It is true that 99% of truckers ignore the limit and drive at 70 anyway. It is also true that they are rolling the dice. When they are pulled over for doing 70 in a 55 that is reckless driving and the fines are very high (up to $2500 for first offense) plus a $600 EPA fine. I’ve seen as many as six trucks on the side of the road getting tickets at one time. For those that follow the myth about going 5 over being allowed will get a $100.25 ticket and the $600 fine.

Even before I went to a salary, I never went over the limit. Whatever the sign says is what the cruise control is set at. It’s just not worth the fines and points. When the points go over 20, you no longer have a CDL. Then it’s back to flipping burgers for minimum wage.

Lonesome and archangelic peon Thank this.
  5. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    Can you get me a back stage pass to Lady Gaga? She’s a doll!

Vic Firth and Lonesome Thank this.
  6. Diantane

Nov 13, 2010
    Alderson, WV
    lol

We aren’t allowed to approach the celebrities unless they invite us, but we do see them all the time backstage We can’t help it. We all eat at the caterers

7. Diantane

Nov 13, 2010
    Alderson, WV
    Found out that you get top pay at OTL after doing 20 tours. That would take a few years. When I got back off my first tour I ran a few truckloads. The next Friday I got paid for those loads as well as the OTL salary!

You have to attend their class to be an official OTL driver and the next one won’t be until January 2019. I may get another tour before then if a spot opens up again. Hope so as truckload is boring to me. After class I get new OTL uniforms and will work with them year round.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    rostig4404 and archangelic peon Thank this.
  8. Frank Speak

May 3, 2016
    Well, if it’ll help you out, I’ll go on tour for a month or two.

My rider:

1. Green room will be supplied with fresh Kentuckian Type O+

2. No meet and greets during the day

3. Under no circumastances will I be disturbed while I’m in bat form and hanging upside down in my quiet space.

4. I reserve the right to bite anyone that tells me to get a tan

5. Green room will be supplied with a quality stereo and loaded with all of Chopin’s works.

6. Finally, no garlic will be present in the building while I am there.

Thanks!

Frank

9. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    What about your uniform, Frank. That black cape may put some people off...…….

Frank Speak Thanks this.
  10. Frank Speak

May 3, 2016
    Oh, I can be versatile there. I’m dapper with or without the cape.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  11. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    that you are!

Frank Speak Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.