One question I cannot find about being an Owner Op

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TruckRunner, Mar 9, 2018.

1. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    I can say this to the OP- Your a step ahead of MOST guys wanting to start their operation being well Funded.

It Took me almost 10 years to save 400k as an owner.....the Rewards in Trucking are Hard to get.
    Better places to put that money for sure,But if trucking has made your mind up, Best of Luck.....

Keep in mind also- There is Very Little Room For Error in this Business- I cant stress that Enough-

All it Will Take is a Claim or 2- an Accident not of your fault- Or Major catastrophic breakdowns out of your Control- That 400k?? Gone Just like that.

This is a Breutal Business That will Never Forgive- be Smart- Thrifty,And Pay Attention To Everyone you do business with- The Dollar sometimes makes the Honest People do Bad things.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    But you did it so there can be money made.....whether it’s worth the time and investment is another question.

He’s got $400k and 7 yrs experience if he can’t make it nobody can. Just have to run a tight ship like you don’t have $400k

shogun, QuietStorm, DSK333 and 6 others Thank this.
  4. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Exactly Right

gsmmoline and rank Thank this.
  5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri

DSK333 Thanks this.
  6. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    There is money out here, and the load boards are a good place to start until you build a solid reputation with a broker or two. You may even find yourself leasing on with a company that is able to get even better paying freight, those outfits are out there too. What are you planning on hauling? Van, reefer or flat? Or looking to specialize?

One thing, I would find an older non EPA truck, go through it and go make some money. With $400,000 cash, I would look for something in the $60,000 range or LESS, a NON EGR/DPF/SCR motor. Go through the truck, even in frame it if you have too, especially if you buy it right. Do that, and go make some money. And screw California, unless you are out that way and have to have an EPA rolling abortion.

TruckRunner Thanks this.
  7. TruckRunner

TruckRunner Heavy Load Member

Dec 21, 2017
    Yes I will never go to Commifornia

DSK333 and Justrucking2 Thank this.
  8. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Good, just please stay away from the EPA motors. Don't worry about the ELD, it is the emissions that will bankrupt you. I know, I own one. Here it is right now in my driveway...

Truck2.jpg

QuietStorm, TallJoe and rank Thank this.
  9. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    but....but....but....I read here on TTR that a fella is better off buying a new e-truck because the warranty will look after him

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  10. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Everybody wants to know how to get good paying loads. That's what the game is all about.

DSK333 Thanks this.
  11. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    He'll need a DOT number for the good ones though.

blairandgretchen and rank Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.