OOIDA liability/cargo insurance?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by HopeOverMope, Sep 14, 2017.

1. csmith1281

csmith1281 Medium Load Member

May 29, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    I got on here looking for a place to talk about exactly this. I just got a quote from progressive. $61,000 for the year including physical damage. When an insurance claim on my history falls off later this year, it goes down to $32,000 for the year. This is a hypothetical quote as I do not have my authority yet. But I gave them my drivers license number and address, so I’m sure they were able to pull some info about me from somewhere.What’s a trucker to do? That comes out to $2700 per month. That’s really only one or two extra loads per month, but are rates high enough to justify this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    I have a neighbor who uses CHR a lot. He's has OOIDA insurance, so evidently they're OK with it.

DSK333 Thanks this.
  4. nightgunner

nightgunner Road Train Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    How many trucks and trailers are you quoting for that policy? I was quoted $11,500 before I added a second power unit and trailer. But without actually talking to I'm guessing my new quote would be closer to 20 thousand year.

5. csmith1281

May 29, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    One truck valued at $95k w/ comp&collision, c/c for customer’s trailer valued at $65k, cargo, auto liability, and general liability (only added $265/yr).

Quote was for a new carrier authority...not leasing to an existing carrier.

6. nightgunner

nightgunner Road Train Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    That was mine as well. I was looking at reinstating my authority from 2014 a couple of months ago.

7. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    WTF is that? Did you kill a bus load of nuns or something?

That's $700 PER WEEK !! No Check that-That's $1200 per week!! OMFG

Now if you had 10-12 Trucks- That Quote would be right in Line.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  8. csmith1281

May 29, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Yeah…it seemed a little high to me too. The real crappy thing is I nicked somebody else’s fender in a Home Depot parking lot. I didn’t even get a ticket and it didn’t even happen on the road. I have no idea why it cost that much. I’m definitely shopping around.

9. Mark Griz

Mark Griz Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2015
    I've been running a month under my own authority. I've got OOIDA and haven't had any problems whatsoever.

10. stuckinneutral

stuckinneutral Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2017
    Florida by way of NJ
    I got a quote for Progressive through an independent agent. New company, new authority, based in Florida (was told Florida more $ than most other states). Clean DL, very good credit. No recent verifiable T/T experience (w/in 3 years). $55k stated value on equipment, $750k liab (to be bumped up when authority gets activated), physical dmg coverage on equip, $100k cargo coverage including reefer breakdown coverage: $18151 for the year. Quote of course subject to verification of license and credit reports. Maybe I need to get another agent to quote this to be certain this is not a "teaser" rate to get me to accept the policy only for it to skyrocket when policy gets issued.

11. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    I had bobtail with OOIDA. No issues. Then Progressive. 2016 I got my own authority and called around progressive quote 8k. They did not consider me new because of having bobtail for years. I however never spoke with a person at progressive that made me feel like they were well informed with trucking. 2017 a friend mentioned I should get a quote with Assured partners in Columbus Ohio. Chuck is the man. These people know trucking. 6,900 a year. 1mil accident, unisured 100k cargo, 35k bailee, i.e. rental trailers, non owned. Second tractor as spare/part time use. When I need insurance cert. one phone call, or email I have it right away. Policy is with Great West. 4 pieces of equipment.
    40k valve on tractor
    20k value on tractor
    30k Trailer
    10k Trailer

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.