Optimize Idle shuts off ps4 while starting.

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by billharris61, Jun 9, 2020.

1. billharris61

billharris61 Bobtail Member

Sep 24, 2011
    Green Bay, WI
    Ok here's the scoop I have a 1500 watt inverter that is a modified sine wave. My ps4 and 32" flat screen works fine when the truck is on or off. But when the truck starts, it supplies all the power to the starter and the ps4 and TV turns off. CAN'T HAVE THAT.. It's gonna fry the hard drive in the ps4. So I bought a 255 w APC battery backup. Plug it in at home and works fine. Plug it into the inverter and it tells me there's a bad ground. I have the inverter grounded to the truck chassis. Has anyone had this problem? Should I be using a pure sine wave inverter? Please help!! It's almost summer and I need my AC while I'm playing..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Yes you should be running a pure sign wave inverter especially with computer type equipment.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  4. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Yes, pure sine wave. Apparently your PS4 and TV don't mind, but the APC doesn't like the modified sine wave.

flood and AModelCat Thank this.
  5. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I can chime in on this.

First, You are going to read a bad ground on a UPS no matter what you do because your truck is sitting on tires, with no metal earth ground like a house has.

Second, you should be using a pure sine wave inverter for any sort of modern electronics unless it's so cheap you don't care about it, like a wal-mart microwave or something.

Third, you need a bigger battery backup for the PS4+TV than 255w, I'm pretty sure. Check Google for that.

Fourth, try to get a UPS with voltage regulation as well, because even a pure sine wave inverter is going to be feeding rather variable voltage to the UPS, and if the UPS doesn't regulate the voltage it sends, it could harm your PS4/TV.

Fifth, yes, you still need a pure sine wave inverter if you have a voltage regulating UPS, because that voltage regulating UPS will be damaged by crappy A/C power just like your other electronics.

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    So not to slam anyone here but this is very very wrong.

It has nothing to do with earth ground.

Ok to explain a couple things for the op, the problem you have is because the voltage drops when the engine starts, this is not just normal but it is expected.

A UPS is an inverter with its own battery and a battery charger/voltage change over switch, that's all it is. The cheaper ones will not like working on inverter line voltage because it uses the line frequency for clocking for the microprocessor and regulators within the ups. This is why you are getting ground fault error, the computer is getting screwed up signals from the inverter.

Buy a good inverter. Not a cheap one, then get a very good ups.

7. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I have been told that if you buy a three conductor plug bug and connect it to the best inverter in the universe that is using a vehicle chassis for a ground, it will always detect a ground fault. No exceptions unless you drive a ground rod and connect to it.

Not only have I been told that, I bought a high quality inverter and plug bug and tested it.

I am not trying to be an ### here, I am not an electrical guru, but I am not a complete ignoramus about things electrical either.

Explain how a 120v household current three conductor electrical circuit can be grounded in a truck without a metal-to-earth ground.

8. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    You do not need a pure sine wave inverter , you can use a modified sine wave inverter. I use one with my gaming laptop and ps4 . My tv is hooked up to cheap truck stop inverter and it works . I have been using my inverter going on 4 yrs no issues. Yes the engine starting will stop flow to inverter , the inverter is not the issue.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.