Orientation 02/29/12

Discussion in 'USA Truck' started by RetiredSarge, Feb 21, 2012.

1. RetiredSarge

RetiredSarge Medium Load Member

I start orientation at USA in Vandalia, Oh on the 29th. This has got to be the longest week I have had in a while. LOL, I know that once I get out there I will wish I was home, that's only natural, but I am just ready to get this orientation and ride in the trainers truck over with so I can finally start making a decent paycheck and have my own truck so I am not schlepping my big bag everywhere.

Supper Raven and Old MP Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Just be aware you might not get paired to a trainer just yet. If they ask you where the nearest Greyhound station is to your home most likely you are going home to wait. OR you might have to get on the bus to get with your trainer. Unless something has changed since I went through this I rate your chances of a bus ride at about 50%

4. old rock n roll

old rock n roll Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2012
    Perrysburg, Ohio
    before you know it, all B.S. aside take it all for what is worth, you will be in your own truck soon enough, im an old trainer an my trainies were nervous as hell; as a trainer i tried to let the trainees take over as i wasnt there, drivers seat 1st day, then i made them make the calls to dispatch, i tried to make them feel as they were the lead driver, once i let them go on there own, well i didnt worry so much, so if you can! try to absorb everything you can, make yor trainer feel like your paying attention and you appreciate his training, and you my friend should be just fine, be safe

5. bubbavirus

bubbavirus Medium Load Member

Sarge,
    When I went (almost 6 years ago) to Vandalia, my trainer arrived two hours later.

Spent 6 weeks on the road, then did orientation, road testing, stuff I forget at good ole Van Buren, AR.

My truck had only one issue, the speed control (Sleep icon). You had to tap the brakes a few times to set it.

6. Green Machine

Green Machine Medium Load Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Ohio
    When I went to orientation.... it was mon-thurs. Instead of being bussed back home (10-12hrs to get to other side of ohio) I rode with someone that lived somewhat close to me and had a family member pick me up from there (took 4 hours). On Friday I got a call from the training department and said I had a trainer, got the info for him and called him and he arrived at a truckstop near my house on saturday or sunday (can't remember which).

I think at my orientation there were only 3 or 4 people (out of about 14) that got trainers on that thursday.

7. Supper Raven

Supper Raven Bobtail Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Raeford , NC
    Thanks all for the input, our fun is about to begin.

8. Supper Raven

Supper Raven Bobtail Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Raeford , NC
    Now thats the way to do it!!!

9. RetiredSarge

Hey Raven, we are going to take Vandalia by storm. As they said in the movie MASH, here come the pros from Dover!!!! LOL. Just kidding. Hopefully we will have a good class and get good trainers where we will have the opportunity to learn alot on our time out on the road.

10. jeff1971

jeff1971 Light Load Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Charlotte, NC

Good luck Sarge! Please keep us fellow North Carolinian's up to date on your progress! Start School in a couple weeks.....See ya on the road!

11. RetiredSarge

Jeff, are you going to FTA in asheboro??? If so you will have a great time. The instructors are a lot of fun and teach you a lot.

jeff1971 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.