Own Authority.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by The Biggest Dawg, Dec 5, 2019.

1. bonder45

bonder45 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Williston, ND
    Could I potentially just work in the state where I’ve registered the truck until the authority is granted? Then go out of state after that?

truckinglife1198 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I would not want to steer you wrong. I don't see why not, but I don't know for sure.
    Does your state have any requirement for intrastate Authority?

If they do not have any requirement for Interstate Authority I would think you probably can.

@brian991219 could probably better answer your question.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  4. Wespipes

Wespipes Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2019
    No authority has to active even for intrastate

And yes it's only 21 days from the time you file for dot #'s You can start hauling. That's if you have everything in order

To OP. I'm not sure if this was answered in the thread. But you need to file with your state for ifta Theyll give you a temp until your stickers come in. Then you can file typically online every quarter using the info from keeptruckin and file recipets(or enter them into keeptruckin) you also need to file the other odd states like new mexico, Kentucky, Oregon, and NY

My authory went active 2 months ago. Been having for a month now. It's all fresh to me lol. If you have any other questions let me know

5. Petty Cash

Petty Cash Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Check with your state. Many, if not most states require intrastate authority.

As far as your IFTA, you apply with your state and they should provide instructions on filing. What state will you be based in and where do you plan to run? A handful of states also have separate taxes that you have to register for and pay quarterly.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  6. bonder45

Oct 2, 2011
    Williston, ND
    90% North Dakota, 8% SD, MN and WY, 2% anywhere else.

From what I've read I will most likely like skip IFTA and go with permits to enter the other states as I need ( 1-2 times per year ) Should be less paperwork and cheaper.

7. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Thanks for the mention. I am away from my desk all week, will have to get back to the OP.

Typically, if you are doing true intrastate work then you do not need MC authority, however many states do have intrastate authority requirements that are similar to the federal regulations.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  8. Miles2Go

Miles2Go Bobtail Member

Mar 4, 2020
    I would say that is most of the stuff to be compliant, but in order to really hit the ground running.. you want a solid business plan in place before your authority goes active. You don't want to feel like a chicken with it's head cut off when the day that your authority is active comes. It's important to think about and start finding options for hauling freight well in advance. Start building connections and relationships and try to diversify as much as possible. The more brokers and debtors you get in front of and haul for, the more experience there will be behind your authority, and the more likelihood you can find direct hauls. I'd also highly recommend having a plan in place on what you will be doing to deal with the industry average 42 day pay terms.

9. bonder45

Oct 2, 2011
    Williston, ND
    I ended up canceling my MC because the company I leased onto wants me under there. With that being said my insurance will drastically go down, pretty excited about that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.