Parking Shortage. How it affects you?

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by lschorer, Jan 28, 2019.

1. lschorer

lschorer Bobtail Member

Jan 28, 2019
    Is it legal to park at the scales overnight or for long periods of time as long as you're not blocking the flow of traffic?

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lschorer

lschorer Bobtail Member

Jan 28, 2019
    So there are apps where you can actually reserve a spot ahead of time? Is that usually possible at most truck stops? I assume it costs extra to do that?

4. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    I deal with Pilot all the time. Yet to deal with loves. Download the Pilot app and you can see all Pilots near you. Call the nationwide number and give them the store number.

If you arrive and there is plenty of free parking call back and they will refund your reservation

Easy Peasy

lschorer and sealevel Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Enforcement scales are pleased to have you park there in many areas, if they are open let em know that you are there on legally mandated rest and will proceed in the morning. Personally I dont. Probably because many times I was too heavy. Story of my life.

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  6. fishonron

fishonron Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2017
    North Central Kansas
    The TA/Petro and P/FJ apps are great! Loves is lacking a bit imo though.

It does not cost extra and you can reserve days in advance if you want and they show you how many paid spots are still available at the time you're looking at it.

What I really like about the apps is you can reserve a shower when you're still sitting in the truck. If there's a wait for a shower it tells you what place in line you are. No more standing in line and then hanging out staring at that shower screen.

You can also get your fuel set up 30 min in advance. It saves all of the info that you normally have to enter in every time. You just update the mileage and trailer number if need be and it gives you a pin# to enter at the pump.

Another thing that's great with the TA app is if you need shop work you can order that up in advance. Say you put in a work order a couple/few hours before you get there, when you do arrive you're automatically 'next in line'.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  7. fishonron

fishonron Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2017
    North Central Kansas
    I've had mixed results with that. There policy is no refunds after 1200 local time but I have got late refunds.

I've found that the best chance for a late refund is to ask at the fuel desk with your happy face on.

8. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    Starting day early only works for couple days. Then you show up at shipper or loader and they take forever to load/unload you. Now you still have to drive 300 miles today to make it to next drop tomorrow. You might have to drive til 8-10pm. Good luck trying to find parking that late.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  9. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    What i like about pulling flatbed is most of the deliveries are in normal business hours , so were not stuck until 10pm getting unloaded then have to find a place to park.... I think alot of it depends on whereur at in the country. Northeast is always gonna,be packed in by 3pm southeast can be too.. Midwest theres alot of good little truckstops and rest areas everywhere withparking
    . out west theres plenty of parking everywhere, never had a problem finding parking out there excluding california... I think a big part of finding a spot is just knowing where ur at in the country and planning ur day around that

lschorer Thanks this.
  10. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    Good luck trying to find parking spot in Seattle area after noon

11. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Some of them aren't too bad. Kentucky has massive parking at the scales. They won't bother you either. To answer the initial question, parking is only really a problem for people that think they HAVE to park at a truck stop. You can't expect to park at the truck stop each night. You have to get creative sometimes. Most of the time I park at the customer I'm delivering to.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.