Parking Shortage. How it affects you?

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by lschorer, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Wildey

Wildey Bobtail Member

Nov 24, 2015
    NC
    I hauled primarily reefer for many years and when it came to parking I did a few things if I was in dire need of a place to shut down.

1. This worked sometimes and that's asking someone at the docks if theres places to park nearby, local drivers at said docks could sometimes point you to a area to park for awhile. Having done this its a toss up wether the local pd will hassle you. If its an industrial area its been 50/50 for me.

2. Look around and see where other trucks are parked when coming into an area you are not overly familiar with. For me thus usually ended up with me beating off the druggies and bums mist of the night. Not always but sometimes.

3. Ask the recciever if there's parking on site. Some have bullpens and if yet sneaky enough you can slip in after getting unloaded. Doesn't always work as a lot have clued in on this and blocked them so if outbound yet outta luck.

4. Scale houses are another option if there is room, except in VA. I did not run much Midwest or left coast so can't speak for coops out that away.

5. Abandoned or closed down businesses but its a toss up wether the local pd will chase ya off. I've been pretty lucky in that aspect as I've been questioned but as long as I wasn't camping out for more than my 8 or 10 I generally got to stay. Also depended on officers mood.

Probably forgetting a lot but thing is just gotta plan sometimes on not getting into a truck stop/pickle park after a certain time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Insert any big city and the same applies, i thought that was just common sense though?

4. DenBob

DenBob Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    It doesn't.
    None.
    I work at night. 7pm to 6 am roughly.
    Exclusively now, but even when I was regular OTR I did little daytime driving.
    I hope everyone else continues to wake up well after sunrise and head straight into both am and pm rush hours (or the all day rush hours that you get in some metros) and then shut down for the day at 5, 7, 8pm but why anyone with a choice operates that way I have no idea.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    JadeLove and lschorer Thank this.
  5. DenBob

DenBob Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    Denver is about the same. Horrible.

6. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    Denver got 2 T/As, Sappy Bros etc. One T/A in wheatridge.
    If I have to park in that area ill park way before denver

7. fss99701

fss99701 Medium Load Member

Feb 14, 2019
    none of your business
    You ain't lying about parking problems I've been driving for three years but mostly fuel tankers in Alaska. Recently I was down in Washington state hauling apples down into Ontario California we don't even really have truck stops in Alaska I never seen parking that tight in my life I stayed at the TA truck stop in Ontario 14 hours and saw three wrecks in the parking lot. On my second trip I found an old Chevron station with truck parking that's always empty a beautiful place, so if I don't have to be in a big city for the night I usually look for a small truck stop or gas station with truck parking it's just more peaceful you can actually get sleep without hearing truck engines and people crashing into each other all night and no one knocking on your door at 2 in the morning.

lschorer Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.