past driver, interested in driving again, need refresher

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by ronss, Sep 27, 2017.

1. ronss

ronss Light Load Member

May 23, 2010
    phoenix,az
    i use to drive for freymiller, and had to stop in 1995, 2 dui,s.....i am thinking of driving again, arizona dmv game me the ok.....fremiller will not put me through a refresher course. freymiller stated i have been out of too long....ok....what is the best route for me, go to truck drvinng school? or company driving school? sucks freymiller will not do the refresher course..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I'd check with your nearby CDL school and see if they offer refresher courses. They may want to take a check ride with you to see "where you're at", and if all goes well they may offer to let you pay to take an abbreviated course and get you through the CDL license test process. If you can get that lined out, then start calling around to Prime, Decker, May, Mountain River, Hardy Bros, etc (depends on where you live) and see if they could offer an abbreviated trainee program assuming you show you can back and navigate better than your trainer, you'll be released to solo sooner.

Is reefer where your preferred style of trucking?

Point is, nobody [reputable] will take you and start you solo without first spending time in their apprentice program. But after a quick 6 months there, hopefully some other doors will be open to you if you're not happy where you started.

PS: You'll also need to get up to speed on the new HOS rules.

4. ronss

ronss Light Load Member

May 23, 2010
    phoenix,az
    trucking school wants $2000 down....who has that kind of money

5. Speed_Drums

Speed_Drums Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2014
  6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Apparently lots of people do because there's hundreds enrolling every day. But if that's what you gotta do, you find a way to do it.

But a 1 or 2 week refresher course won't cost that much altogether (if they offer it)

7. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Until he gets here, I recall that Western Express has a refresher course, and the DUI's probably wouldn't be an issue with them; although as old as they are I don't think you'd have much problem most places. Titan Transfer, whom I don't know much about, also has refresher courses. There are many other that don't come to mind atm, so ... it's on you from here on out, @Chinatown !! ;)

8. Speed_Drums

Speed_Drums Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2014
    Transam and Navajo?

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Transam will badger him senseless trying to get him to sign a fleece agreement and will probably give him garbage runs trying to convince him "the miles and money gets better when you're a lease trucker"

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Stevens Transport might take you.
    I recommend doing some online applications and follow in a few days with a phone call. Don't call first. This way when you call you can say, "I'm checking on my job application." The trucking company can then pull it up on their computer, and the interview starts!
    Some of the drivers already gave some good ideas such as Western Express, etc.
    I'd also apply with Abilene Motor Express; they hired a driver that had been off the road 20 yrs.
    Apply with those 3 in addition to the others that are mentioned.
    Stevens Transport
    Western Express
    Abilene Motor Express

bigred81 Thanks this.
  11. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    If I recall correctly you have to have a valid Med Card to hold the CDL in AZ. You would probably need to go to the full school again since you have been out too long.

Overview

Arizona requires all CDL drivers, including those in the military, to keep a current Medical Examiner Certificate on file with MVD. The Medical Examiner Certificate is to be renewed every 24 months or sooner, as determined by the medical examiner or by regulation. Failure to maintain a current certificate on file with MVD will result in the suspension and revocation of your CDL.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.