Pay per mile

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by vusomujo, Jul 26, 2016.

1. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    Interesting. Yet all the big ATA companies say they would go broke paying road drivers hourly. Hmmmm.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. vusomujo

vusomujo Light Load Member

Jul 7, 2016
    What is ata

4. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    America truck association

5. De Trucker

De Trucker Medium Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    UPS freight pays road drivers by the mile.
    UPS small package pays by mile or hour depending on length of the run. Anything under 500 miles is hourly at around $35-36 an hour with OT after 8 hours or 40.
    Anything over 500 miles pays around .81 a mile and clock time for delays and building sets of doubles etc.
    UPS truckload pays by the mile. Don't know the rate.
    UPSFreight is around .68-.70 a mile

6. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Anything LTL (less than truckload). Small shipments of whatever, instead of a whole load of water going to Walmart, for instance. I've delivered a single fire hydrant and picked up a zombie mannequin before. Some shipments will be on standard size pallets, but there may also be 20' long pipes or big crates of machinery. Anything and everything.

7. thejackal

thejackal Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2014
    detroit mi
    Close...more like anti trucking association.

Rusty Trawler and sevenmph Thank this.
  8. Flatbedder73

Flatbedder73 Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2012
    Langhorne, PA
  9. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Focusing primarily on a pay per mile thing is pretty myopic. It is a package deal that one has to look at.

For instance, discounts on fuel. I have been getting about 50 cents a gallon off the cash pump price recently. What about stop pay for multiple stops? I get $75 on first extra stop, then $100 for each additional stop. What about detention? I get about $38 an hour after the first 2 hrs. How accurate is the mileage the rate is based on? I typically average about 4-5% OOR from what the mileage is based, and that includes all my bobtailing to get a bite to eat, going home, etc. My OCC/ACC insurance is $136 a month, physical damage / bobtail / cargo liability is about $219 a month. $10 a week for the Qualcomm with no deposit or installation fees. And all the toll roads are paid for. Base plates and all permits are paid for or reimbursed. No trailer fees and other nonsense. I have my own BCBS medical insurance.

My gross has typically hovered around $200K for the last few years. I stop by the house a couple of times a week, off on weekends and holidays, and typically take 3-4 weeks off a year. My net last year was over $80K. I have restructured my operation so that now I am a W-2 employee driver of my company. Between the money I pay myself as a driver, and the net the company has over that which is distributed to me, my take this year after expenses is looking to be in the $90K range. That is before taxes paid. But with the new business structure, I will save about $7000-$8000 in taxes.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.