PC - somewhere between use and abuse

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by TallJoe, Dec 26, 2019.

1. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    If you have the load assigned/dispatched I think it falls into the category of advancing to your next load. If you have yet to book it, well it's possible you could be going the opposite direction of your next load.

ZVar Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I have spent exactly two nights in that town all of my life the first night was fine, the second involved gunfire on my block. Thats the end of Gary as far as I am concerned. I researched that place later on at the library and found that they had been crumbling for decades since the civil rights riots etc.

4. Lpirtle

Lpirtle Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2019
    Owensboro, ky
    In this case, you would be in violation of HOS. The reason why? You can't legally use PC to finish a leg of a journey due to running out of hours, that includes bobtailing home regardless of dispatch status. I've heard of drivers getting put OOS for this exact senaro.

5. Lpirtle

Oct 11, 2019
    Owensboro, ky
    Roehl's terminal is in Garry, IN so I got to go there plenty of times in my short time with the company. That was the most run down town I've ever seen. The city doesn't even have the funds to keep the traffic lights on, so they turned off most of them and put stop signs up.. nowhere else I have seen that, so I think that's saying something.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Yet, one more technicality. I understand "the leg of a journey" as the distance that is an integral part of the journey, without which the completion of the journey is impossible.
    In the case above, the leg of a journey had a different direction, exactly opposite to the direction of the PC taken.
    The PC taken was nothing but a digression from the journey.
    What say you now?

7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Except you are wrong. Going home is specifically allowed in the guidance.

Question 26: Under what circumstances may a driver operate a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) as a personal conveyance?
    Examples of Appropriate Uses of a CMV While Off-duty for Personal Conveyance
    Commuting between the driver’s terminal and his or her residence, between trailer-drop lots and the driver’s residence, and between work sites and his or her residence.

DrFlush and TallJoe Thank this.
  8. Lpirtle

Oct 11, 2019
    Owensboro, ky
    You may be right, although I am confused. The reason for my belief is because of FMCSA'S statement in an interview, since it seems to be conflicting.
    Question: I’m a one-truck motor carrier and relieve myself from duty when I unload at a receiver. Can I use personal conveyance to go home?

Answer: No. This answer applies to any driver, company or owner-operator. It’s important to know when you are making a trip that the trip is both the delivery and the return. Even if the return is empty. So wherever you started from and return to, that makes the complete interstate trip. That time is considered on duty or on-duty driving.
    Will paste the link here so you can read what I'm talking about.
    The FAQs of personal conveyance - Land Line

ZVar Thanks this.
  9. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    If we talk about PC home, the most vulnerable part of it is "home". Is it a must to bring the rig to the very address or can you park it a few blocks away, or even better at your rented spot?

ZVar Thanks this.
  10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    For a one truck operation home and terminal is usually the same place (or close enough). For a driver to go home it's fine. For a driver to go to their terminal it's not. That's also part of guidance.
    So basically for an o/o where home and terminal is the same, it falls to convincing the LEO (and maybe court) you are going home and not going to the terminal.
    One way to do that is proof the next load is not in the direction you are heading, or something like that.

That and that interview has no basis in law, it's simply one mans opinion. Sure the man in charge of the agency that made the regs, but still just an opinion piece.

Lpirtle Thanks this.
  11. Lpirtle

Oct 11, 2019
    Owensboro, ky
    Makes sense when you put it that way, so I stand corrected.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.