Per diem or non need help!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Lunchbox379, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Lunchbox379

Lunchbox379 Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    I'm with Millis now and have no clue what to pick. I've heard some people having to pay tax at the end of the year being on per diem?
    I'm also new to the industry,so this stuff is like Chinese to me.
    I was leaning towards non per diem. Because I plan on getting loans and it shows taxable income.
    Basically don't want to have to owe the government and don't want a crappy pay

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Dont take per diem up front.
    End of year,you can deduct $46,or $51 per day out,and subtract it from your taxable income.
    Youll get a better tax return,and your company will pay the full amount into your ss account.

4. roadreject

roadreject Light Load Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Hogwallow
    Getting paid 'per diem' in the manner some sleazebag trucking companies pay it, hurts you.
    It reduces your taxable income, or your 'base' wages on paper.
    Many drivers think this is a good deal, until they get hurt on the job, and workmans comp payments are substantially less than if they go paid the 'normal' way.
    Want to buy a house? You may not qualify for a loan base on the earning you make under the 'per diem' hocus pocus.
    Your $50,000 a year looks like $30,000 a year on paper.

Unemployment? SSI? Reduced also.

It's only a winning situation for the company, since now they can deduct your 'road' expenses, not you.

When companies do this and use a part of what should be a normal per mile rate as 'per diem', they're ripping you off.
    (But they'll smile and tell you what a wonderful deal it is)

The rest of the world gets paid per diem ON TOP of a normal wage, not as part of it.

5. Lunchbox379

Dec 7, 2015
    So just get Non per diem and save my receipts?

6. roadreject

Jan 19, 2016
    Hogwallow
    You don't really need to keep receipts unless you are spending $50 or more a day on the road.
    If you are doing that you have other problems.
    :)
    Just keep track of how many days a year you are in the truck, away from home. This can be done with your logs.
    In 30 years of claiming per diem on my taxes I have never been asked to present receipts, but i guess if you claim an outragious amount...it's possible.

7. Lunchbox379

Dec 7, 2015
    Well there's a 5 cent difference in my CPM . But I do get bonus more with per diem vs non per diem.
    I'll find out more next week. Don't want ripped off

8. roadreject

Jan 19, 2016
    Hogwallow
    Guess who's making more money from this deal?
    :)

BigSky Thanks this.
  9. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    I dont do per diem, I do itemized tax return at the end of the year and get better tax return vs getting per diem.
    Very convenient for company , not yourself in most cases.

BigSky and roadreject Thank this.
  10. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Log book is good enough for the IRS. I was audited and they accepted my logbook. Be sure to keep all logs while you are claiming Per Diem at the end of the year.

The amount changed in Oct. You might have to Google Per Diem rates for professional drivers to see what the amount is.

80% for full days away from home
    75% for partial days away from home.

11. Lunchbox379

Dec 7, 2015
    Sure ain't me lol

BigSky Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.