Perplexed by forced per diem option?

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by rookietrucker, Jan 24, 2012.

1. rookietrucker

rookietrucker Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jul 15, 2007
    TEXAS
    YOUR BUSINESS: Perplexed by forced per diem option?

more here >> YOUR BUSINESS: Perplexed by forced per diem option?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rug_Trucker

Rug_Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN
    :biggrin_25510:Once again let's hose the American workers!

4. Yawgnorw

Yawgnorw Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2012
    chickasha, oklahoma
    Thank you for the article it was helpful to a point, but still if we all listen to the companys that offer per diem pay options they are going to make it sound like its the right way to go. I'm lost myself is it the best option or is it hurting me in the long run? (speaking of long run I better get moving can't make any money this way.) Thanks for any help you can offer.

5. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    The one thing I can't figure out how it could be legal, is if they charge the driver for administering the per diem fees. That's robbery, or better yet highway robbery. No other employees in the country have to pay to get their paycheck!

6. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    per diem is ok or not for each person tax me now get the deuction tax me later u get less deductions, listening to any of us is the foolish thing none of us have masters degrees in buisness or acct. The nay sayers might not be brighter then a 5th grader. After 35 years in buisness i was very good at killing fish and the acctountant did his job well. including telling me to get out because the goverment quotas were making me lose money BASICALLY I DONT HIRE A PLUMBER TO FRAME MY ADDITION
    the charge by a company to administer per diem is imherently wrong but prolly legal prolly also deductable---> my dumb truck driver thought only

7. DrFlush

DrFlush Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Per diem is good for some, bad for others, as a former business owner who did his own payroll taxes, I understand why companies push it. On the other hand, for some it is the way to go as it legally avoids paying tax on some earnings. Myself, I own a home in a state that allows the "Daily Deduction" while on the road so I save a lot more by getting all my milage pay and taking all my deductions at the end of the year.

8. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    I worked for one company in my almost 20 years of driving that paid "per diem". It is the only year I have ever owed money on taxes at the end of the year. Per diem, as these companies call it, is not per diem at all. Per diem pay is supposed to be an additional pay that companies pay to compensate the employee for being away from home. My brother used to get an extra bit of money when the construction company he worked for asked him to be away from home overnights. It was extra pay. It was not screwing with your taxes, playing a number game, and then charging you an administrative fee to screw up your taxes for you. An OTR companies "per diem" is another way to screw ya. And I would gladly be proven wrong, but I know I won't be.

silverspur, dan4tc and windsmith Thank this.
  9. Okieron

Okieron Crusty Okie

Dec 23, 2009
    muskogee, ok
    Per Diem screwed me big time! so never again

silverspur Thanks this.
  10. loosecannon

loosecannon Bobtail Member

Mar 23, 2012
    san antonio texas
    Never never use your "god given" tax deduction, a.k.a. Per diem, when offered by these ripoff artists...it is your deduction for the end of the year, not marten transports, jb hunt, schneider, etc..it is not theirs to give. Everyone of you that know what im saying need to call the irs and complain about this convenluded borderline criminal use of a beneifit given by the govt to the driver. Eventually, enough people get fed up with it, they will have to pay the drivers what they promise and wont be able to save the millions in taxes that they are screwing the govt out of by screwing us with this per diem/admin fee crap

silverspur Thanks this.
  11. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    $0.01 cents per mile adds up to $25 dollars a week or about $1200 dollars per year. I've heard of some companies charging $0.02 per mile as an "administrative fee" $2400 dollars per year is all I need to know to say No Thanks.

Un-FRIGGIN-believable! Not only the people that fall for this scam BUT the companies that do this.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.