Personal Conveyance Rule change

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by EZ Money, Jun 3, 2018.

1. fargonaz

fargonaz Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    Seems like there should be more information to go with that specific guideline. And that is a good thing with their 'guidelines' they leave much to be interpreted, which lawyers can work with if the situation arises.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fargonaz

fargonaz Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    It is off duty, so It doesn't interfere with the break.

Hegemeister Thanks this.
  4. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    No. I had better be a move to nearby place like a restaurant or motel, shopping mall, Walmart etc.

5. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    True but with this particular case; going empty from shipper or receiver on PC is pretty much laid out as no. At least, it gives them ammunition to question it. They obviously make a distinction between terminal and home. Maybe the argument could be valid for using such PC for those who can park their rigs at their houses.

Of course, this is not good for us.

fargonaz Thanks this.
  6. Makeajump

Makeajump Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Texas
  7. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Of course the question becomes, who's actually going to enforce it.

If you were 23 seconds from a parking space then you probably could have parked 23 seconds away (theoretically) and walked the remaining distance. Say a driveway or the middle of an intersection.

Obviously you can't leave a truck sitting flat in the middle of the street, so if you DID attempt to park there it would only be a matter of time before a LEO would tell you "screw the federal laws, get your POS off my road!"And we've already seen how that plays out.

But to extend the "theory" further, let's say you refused to move because federal law exceeds local jurisdiction, yadda yadda and you just wanted to be a jerk about the whole thing, well after they arrest you they'll simply tow the unit away.

Now here's a question I have, what are your company policies on when "other people" drive your truck? Shop mechanics, yard jockeys, slips seat drivers, etc. (it does happen time to time)

Where I work, I can log off at the end of the day but if the warehouse needs a trailer moved or my boss needs a trailer parked, I can still do it "off the books" as long as I do it at creeper speed. (And being hourly, it incentivizes him NOT to ask me because what takes someone with hours to spare a few minutes to do, I can drag out to a half hour.)

But let's say you pull into a T/A and you go to the shop, many times the shop guys insist on driving in because they don't want the liability of you falling into the grease pit. So how do you log someone else driving your rig?

8. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I have never heard of a shop techs wanting to drive the unit. I would not allow it. Although I was at one T/A for an annual inspection, the techs would not allow me to be in the truck to do the brake tests and lights, I told them they are not getting into my truck to do those things. I have seen them incompetently tell me to set the brakes then stand on the service brake to measure the slacks, you never know which idiot is doing the inspection on your truck; I don't trust them.

9. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Addressing your query, you log out, and if the driveline is triggered, you don't accept responsibility for it, you didn't do it.

EROAD will nag for awhile but it will end up as unclaimed driving time.

Our shop has a code to put in and one of them has his own code for taking it to a shop somewhere or bringing it back.

Before this shook out so we could use PC to stay on break, it crossed me up once where I had to do a sleeper split break before going home about 2 hours away.

The 23 seconds could be 1 second, too. Just saying. Times hits zero and you're in violation if you're on line 3. Line 4 on some which are still screwed up that way.

10. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    This only proves ELDs lack of flexibility in real life scenarios, I am in HOS violation per forma, because the report says 11 hour violation without even showing 23 sec over... might as well be 3 hours over, it would still show the same thing. II did not, formally, violate the 11 hours though. Once I hit the parking lot, the line 3 driving should have stopped per forma , despite the continued motion of the vehicle (back and forth movements)., which is nothing else but yard movements. It is not good to have to preoccupy your mind with these stupid "don't forget to click here or there" things when the main focus should be directed towards the maneuvering of the vehicle.

fargonaz Thanks this.
  11. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    This means that the ELD falsified my truthful log.....How about that ELD lovers?

fargonaz Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.