Personal conveyance

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by ywevis, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    The company I used to work for, the terminal manager of Garden City, Ga terminal had drivers doing this unload on PC because it was 11 hour 45 minute drive with elog running 70/75 mph.
    During a DOT audit, it showed 7 drivers doing this, all paperwork now days is timestamped, and the company fired the drivers.
    Promoted the guy responsible to Terminal manager of Channelview, Tx were he google reviews how great the TM of Channelview terminal is to the world.
    Here’s a good quote
    “Do not be so open-minded that your brains fall out.”
    G.K. Chesterton

Quit being gullible.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    44A12BF3-47E5-4173-BD4D-852DAE45F31E.png Look at the top name and check who manager is at Tx location to see how these companies love drivers

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. CousinVinny

CousinVinny Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2015
    New Jersey
    What OP describes is defined by the FMCSA as "Harassment".

Harassment Protection

The ELD Rule defines harassment very specifically:

Action by a motor carrier toward a driver (whether an employee or a contractor) that the carrier knew or should have known would result in an HOS violation in 49 CFR 395 or 49 CFR 392.3.

Harassment only applies if the carrier’s action involved information from an ELD, or other technology used in combination with an ELD.

Preventing Harassment
    The ELD Rule provides several provisions to help prevent harassment:
    • It prohibits carriers from harassing drivers.
    • It provides a process for drivers to file written complaints.
    • It mandates an ELD mute function to ensure a driver is not interrupted in the sleeper berth.
    • It includes anti-tampering provisions:
      • Limited editing ability for ELD records by either a driver or motor carrier.
      • Required driver certification when a carrier edits an ELD record.
      • Preservation of original ELD records, even when edited.
    Harassment Penalties
    Any carrier who is found to have harassed a driver will be subject to a civil penalty for harassment in addition a penalty for the HOS violation.

Reporting Harassment
    A driver who believes he/she has been harassed should file a written complaint within 90 days using the National Consumer Complaint Database at http://nccdb.fmcsa.dot.gov or with the FMCSA Division Administrator for the State (Field Offices) where the driver is employed.

D.Tibbitt, tscottme, x1Heavy and 2 others Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    What part of violating DOT Rules and HOS don't the company understand.

The first whistle blower could get 10% after the Feds get through burning the outfit to the ground with fines.

I don't ever do work on PC. Ever. Ive had some tell me to do it, those companies no longer exist after I quit.

In my day Ive been given a bobtail and told to log it PC until Monday 8 AM return to the company yard. Have fun! On weekends off.

6. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    UPS was good for that too. Just keep going, we will back you up if there is any problems lol

7. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    The FMCSA Coercion rule will help you ELD or paper. Anyone from the company tries to get you to violate the regs is not allowed.
    Coercion

tscottme and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. jraulpilot1998

jraulpilot1998 Medium Load Member

Aug 20, 2014
    All over U.S.A
    Simple.....
    There is No way....if you are working during your P/C then is No P/C. (As you probably know, you have to justify your P/C with a "note" or "comment"....So, think about how you are justifying your P/C. Remember, in the event of an Incident DOT can request ELD past files. So if you are found to had Not be stating real facts, Driver Violations could amount up to $11,000.00 USD per Violation. (I have seen it On DOT documents), and then comes the Company Fines.....and So On.
    As I learned in the Military and L.E.O service........C.Y.A...!!!!!

x1Heavy and joshlilou Thank this.
  9. jraulpilot1998

Aug 20, 2014
    All over U.S.A
    When that happens...
    DOT requires You to start a Paper Log and continue your Run.

10. jraulpilot1998

Aug 20, 2014
    All over U.S.A
    Bring it up to the attention of Dispatch manager by Email...if by 2nd Email the manager does'nt back you up, then reply with a Cc to the Company's President.

11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I'd recommend the driver not waste his time trying to convince dispatch of anything about HOS. The driver should communicate with Safety Dept, whatever the company calls it. *ASK* Safety "is it ok for me to do XYZ? I'm pretty new/trying to learn company procedures, so I wanted an answer from the people who know best about XYZ." When you get their answer AND IF IT AGREES WITH HOS pass the answer along to Dispatch as "Safety said I should do ABC, not XYZ. Can you (Dispatch) explain to Safety what you are asking me to do just to make sure I'm not misunderstanding things."

You don't volunteer to get in the middle of disagreements between Operations and Compliance. You always deal with Safety in the form of questions and ask to use them to make sure you understand these topics. Once you start lecturing your company you are in trouble.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.