Personal Protection

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Picinisco, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Hoodoo Voodoo

Hoodoo Voodoo Medium Load Member

So they said the rounds were cheaper cost to make but the gun still expensive as hell I would think it's just all going to come out in the wash anyway cheap rounds expensive weapon expensive rounds less expensive weapon. I do have to say though that's pretty cool gun

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You know that if you are in New Jersey get inspected or for some reason you get a drug inspection, you go to jail if they find a gun.

I solved this issue, I gave the drivers a can of bear spray, it is not just legal to have but also legal to take into Canada.

http://counterassault.com/

4. sdh

sdh Bobtail Member

Nov 17, 2016
    High Point NC
    I'd buy a BB pistol, Paint the orange tip on the end black and it looks like a real gun, You can maybe scare off an attacker or a thief with it and since it's just a toy you can't get arrested for having it.

Also they make small retractable steel police batons which are probably legal everywhere.

I myself never carried anything but a folding knife but i never had any problems with anyone.

Whenever i got sent into Chicago i would never spend the night there, Only stayed long enough to get the load and get out, I spent the night at this one truck stop on the outskirts of Chicago one night and within an hour i heard gun shots and a few hours later the cops where arresting some other driver for solicitation.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I don't bother with BB's anymore. I treat them as real. Instantly no ifs buts or maybes orange tip or not. That is what the courts can argue after the thunder is over and the bodies are buried.

6. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Put a boot in their ###, it's the American way.

7. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Woke up one morning with my truck shaking. I look out and see the truck to my left had caught his trailer on my driver mirror and bent it forward. I lay on the horn and jump out. Now this guy couldn't get out straighten out beacause the fuel pumps in the way, he needed me to move for him to get out. i had gotten my oil changed the night before and backed under my trailer but did not dolly up or hook up air lines this and that so I could not move in a hurry for this guy, and he got right up in my face calling me every dirty name because he had started his 14 hour clock and was in a big hurry. I just wanted to take two pix in case there was damage, for the insurance. This guy was pushing all up in my face and in my face calling me names with his lips right up by my ear. I said fine and dialed 9 1 1 right there. Talking to dispatcher, she didn't seem too concerned til I said the magic words "Sir can you please step back one arm's length away from me." Highway Patrol, Sheriff, and local PD show up. This driver barricaded himself inside his truck when they got there. The only damage was a little white scuff on the mirror, HP asked me if I wasnted a report, i said no, it will buff right out. Now this driver wanted to be buddy buddy and shake my hand. Funniest part of it was the local PD officer walking around all puffed up demading our ID's in front of the two other law enforcement officers like they had been remiss in their duties lol

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. sdh

sdh Bobtail Member

Nov 17, 2016
    High Point NC
    @scottied67

I hope you at least reported him to his company, You should have gotten that police report and sent a copy to his company as well, I know i would have. People with short fuses shouldn't be doing this job, Trucking is a job that requires a lot of patience.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    No I didn't report him. I believe he may have learned a valuable lesson from the experience. No need to press it further. He may have sent an accident message back to his company over the incident once I called the police so they would have known about it right then. But since there was no claim he was left with explaining how he hit someone's truck and there was no claim. Plus the personal experience of me staying 100% calm about it against his going into full fight mode. Later when the cops left, I got my coffee then my dog out, this guy was all chitchatty with me0-- where before he was in this big hurry to leave, he stayed around for 2 extra hours, I think using the split break provision to make his load on time.

10. sdh

sdh Bobtail Member

Nov 17, 2016
    High Point NC
    Yea he will probably be terminated anyway, Most companies have a zero tolerance policy for accidents now days anyway. It's cheaper to fire you and hire another driver than to pay the higher insurance premium.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    USCCA covers all cases of self defense, even if is fists only. They made the decision a few months ago, I carry their insurance and it's useful. Possibly the bond benefit money and the 500 dollars per day spent inside a court house.

I had a fella get touchy once for a moment in a parking lot, I usually park far from everyone else alone with like 120 spaces between me and the nearest pack of cars parked by the front door. This one pulled right in and was somewhat hostile presenting in body language. He said something I did not understand and I said beat it I have nothing for you. He yells bad words and abuse about how stupid and deaf I must be... (I am that...) and I told him to really get going before I call and draw on you. Draw? You? You aint got nothing pipsqueak... Lifted my shirt gave him a peek of my colt... and hand on it. OH *&&^% and the phone was up and going out. Last I got was that they were hunting him and his vehicle.

It was a very very minor incident but to this day I don't understand why this one would drive a virtual mile all the way to my corner of the lot where I chose to park.... what is he? The local parking lot bully or something?

It was fortunate that nothing further developed either way from that situation, what got me was I was inexperienced in concealed carry and recieved guidiance with a focus on laws regarding brandishing etc. And it would have been very easy not to have had it on me that day. And how it would have gotten me into a world of trouble.

Cannot help but wonder when someone spots and comes right up to me seeking trouble... I aint the one to be fooled with. I have nothing for the silly trouble maker. Poor thing.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.