Pilot Flying J new wifi setup

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by BigHeadWeb, Oct 6, 2016.

1. BigHeadWeb

BigHeadWeb Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2015
    GTA, Ontario
    Apparently they've upgraded their wifi (http://pilotflyingjwifi.com/). Anyone tried it yet, and if so, is it usable? Can you watch Netflix or YouTube videos?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. alghazi

alghazi Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2014
    For the most part I've found it to be pretty good. Of course, the closer to the building the better the reception.

I get the 31 day package for 19.99.

4. Crazytrucker77

Crazytrucker77 Heavy Load Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR
    I generally use my cell phones hotspot for browsing and stuff but when I'm in a location where I don't have service I usually get internet through the truck stop. I have had Pilots internet for a long time now and it generally works pretty good. Good enough for me to buy a year-long subscription.

Of course there's time to the day when it can be a little slow because everybody's using it or whatever but for the most part I can watch YouTube and Netflix and browse web pages and stuff like that without any issues. Just keep in mind it's not as fast as the internet you have at home but it's faster than the internet you have on your phone generally.

5. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Works good for web surfing and emails. Had some luck watching movies, but does not work for video game consoles or large data usages

6. WildTiger1990

WildTiger1990 Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    Are you sure that you used "engaged NEW wifi??
    Every time I tried , never had problem with running youtube at 1080p. and play MMOs

7. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    It's the enhanced wifi yes. It doesn't allow me to watch TV episodes of NCIS on my CVs app.

8. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    Movie streaming over wifi can depend not only on the connection, but if the streaming provider uses technology that detects the wifi speed and adjusts the streaming and buffering. Netflix, Hulu, and a few others use it, some of the major broadcasters are just looking to switch.

9. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    If you're at a location that is updated I can stream Netflix HD without an issue, but I just pay for the full year for 99$. But you have to park near an antenna, they are randomly located on light poles aside from the standard roof mount on the building. Running my PS4 I showed 33mb down, upload of 7. Was strong enough to shareplay COD.

andhe78 Thanks this.
  10. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Also depends on time of day, with everyone streaming at 800pm the bandwidth is going to suck. But 2300-1700 is normally fast.

11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    It's worthwhile at most locations, but note it is weak at other locations and when I say weak I mean non-existent, currently down, poor antenna broadcast range (sitting in a bad area of the lot), and/or not yet upgraded to the higher capacity maybe because of no reliable high-speed net provider serving the location.

But the point is, where they have made improvements to hotspot setup, it is significantly better then it used to be.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.