Pinellas Technical College

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by wfutch79, May 29, 2017.

1. wfutch79

wfutch79 Medium Load Member

Jul 1, 2013
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Today is done ... drove 265 miles today.

We left out South towards the Skyway again. We went North on I-75 North again and got off at the first exit ... forget number but it was Highway 683. We stayed there for about 45 miles until we hit 17 and turned South. We then went into Punta Gorda and took our lunch at the Pilot there. We then jumped on I-75 South and hit the Skyway and went back to our yard.

I am now at 719 miles total. I was told I will be finished tomorrow. They are going to get me to 850 and let me go .... so I will finish a day early.

My classmate has not been heard from. He passed all his tests and disappeared.

This morning I did my pre-trip and was pulling out of the parking area to do some backing and I ran over a curb .... what made it worse was Laura had just stepped out of the classroom and saw the whole thing. She loves her curbs and the tires on her trucks and trailers .... I begged her forgiveness when we came back this afternoon.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wfutch79

Jul 1, 2013
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Forgot to add something. When we left out this morning I did not realize my fuel was low .... we had already crossed the Skyway. The instructors can not purchase fuel due to the school district policies. It was me pay for the fuel out of my pocket .... LMAO ... hell no .... OR turn around and get fuel at the school district fuel/maintenance facility .... I chose the latter. It was a single pump BUT I learned how to fuel ... somewhat ... LOL.

G13Tomcat and scottied67 Thank this.
  4. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Another lesson learned, LoL... better now than when on a trainer's truck with your 1st company, true?!? ;) (Betcha won't forget to check that gauge next time, huh?) :)

wfutch79 Thanks this.
  5. wfutch79

Jul 1, 2013
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    I thought I had a @scottied67 sighting at the Pilot in Punta Gorda .... until I opened Youtube and saw where you were and what you were dealing with early this morning.

scottied67 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  6. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    @scottied67 doesn't seem to come East, much. . . . he's a snob like that, LoL. (Or just afraid he might LIKE our side of the continent better, hehehehehe!! ;)

scottied67 and wfutch79 Thank this.
  7. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Last time I was in Florida, Haines City, I had spaghetti at the Denny's and a few hours later I had spaghetti exiting my body involuntarily violently. I have delivered to Virginia and Maine also in the last year, but yes they don't send me East very much.

wfutch79 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  8. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Who eats SPAGHETTI at a DENNY'S? Did they not have eggs that day? Or hotcakes? LoL..
    You want good s'getti, ya gotta do Chi town or NY, jsyk.... hehehehe~! ;)

wfutch79 and scottied67 Thank this.
  9. wfutch79

Jul 1, 2013
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    So the moment has arrived. As of 11:30 AM Eastern Time I was officially done with school. I am not afraid to admit I got a little emotional and shed a tear or two. This is something I have wanted to do for a long time and have finally achieved it. It was a lot of hard work but well worth it, I am now well prepared to begin a career as a professional truck driver thanks to the two wonderful ladies that instruct at Pinellas Technical College's Commercial Vehicle Driving program.

It was a hard journey, I wanted to quit a couple of times but I did not. I fought through the rough times and made it.

We started with 6 students, two were Class B and four of us were Class A. All of a sudden we went to three Class B and 3 Class A ..... then there were two Class B and three Class A .... then just three Class A .... then we went to two Class A .... then there was just me .... I was the lone survivor.

We did do a little work this morning. We left out around 7:30 AM and headed toward Sarasota ..... I had Laura and Mary both in the truck starting out. One of the trucks was in the shop and was ready to be picked up so I got to drive her to pick it up ..... man I was nervous! As we got closer to Sarasota traffic started to get thick ... that was more nerve racking than Laura being in the sleeper behind me. We made it to the Sun State International Shop in Sarasota around 8:30 AM and Mary and I waited for Laura to come out with the other truck before we left ( in case something happened Laura was not stranded ). While waiting the classmate that disappeared pulled up ..... seems he lives near the shop and was taking his kids to camp or daycare. Mary talked to him for a moment and then he left.

Laura finally came out and she took off back to the school. Mary and I went for a little ride around Tampa Bay. Instead of going across the Skyway we took the long way round. we jumped on I-75 and headed North towards Tampa. We exited at Highway 574 and cut across to I-4 and headed towards Downtown Tampa and got on I-275 South and ended up back in St. Petersburg and she had me do a couple of really tight turns to get back to the school. So it was a short trip for my last day but it was a fun one.

Even thought it is not part of the curriculum they did teach me how to float ... it took a little bit to get the hang of it but I have a good start on floating.

G13Tomcat and scottied67 Thank this.
  10. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio

Mucho CONGRATS, man~! :) I know it was bittersweet, I'm sure. PLEASE keep me and @scottied67 posted, as to who you eventually end up going with. Include a link in this thread, or just tag us both.

GREAT JOB, MI MANO!! :) :)

wfutch79 Thanks this.
  11. wfutch79

Jul 1, 2013
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Right now the top choice is J&R Schugel. I will be speaking with my recruiter there tomorrow. The school sent them whatever it was they request from them. I got a notice that my DAC was pulled ..... it is clear of course. So hopefully it will be good news tomorrow.

Also I have been in contact with TransAm .... as a just in case if J&R Schugel does not work out.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.