Pivotal Edge Air Hatch

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Frank Speak, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    Got one of these on my trailer a month or so ago. I really like it and, so far, no issues.

It’s air operated using the trailer reserve tank and the lid slides open. But, It can also be flipped up manually after opening for cleaning so you don’t have to remove the lid to clean it. And, it reduces load time more than I anticipated.

It’s still early on, but so far looks like a winner.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Crude Truckin', speedyk and IluvCATS Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    A picture off one would be nice.

4. Frank Speak

May 3, 2016
  5. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.

Thanks Frank. Get a bunch of loads with it and let us know what you think.. If it's reliable and doesn't tend to get all gunked up we might take a look at it.

speedyk Thanks this.
  6. Frank Speak

May 3, 2016
    Will do!

Since they are a sliding hatch, they’re kind of self cleaning, but I still sweep mine with the provided broom at the fly ash plant (they’re messy there, lol).

REO6205 Thanks this.
  7. tnpete

tnpete Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    I was going to say, every tanker I ever pulled. I had to go up top anyway, make sure the lids were shut. There was no product that might blow off. So was wondering being you climb up anyway, what is the reason to have the system? Not saying its not a great ideal. But just asking as I would like to know.
    Best of luck and let everyone know how it works out for you. Does it have a way to let you know in the cab when its closed or open?

8. Frank Speak

May 3, 2016
    I only have to go up there at the fly ash plant. The reason is because their spout doesn’t go into the opening like everywhere else, and it makes a mess.

9. Frank Speak

May 3, 2016
    Update:

The unit is still on my thumbs up list. It does, however, have a flaw. The self cleaning aspect (when the lid slides back into the closed position) doesn’t really work that well.

If you don’t keep the flat surface cleaned off, the build up will cause the lid not close all the way because it’s not under strong enough air pressure.

The manufacturer has a retrofit that one of our guys is trying out. It has stronger air pressure and a better self cleaning guide (when the lid is closing).

p.s. I had a loaner trailer the past couple of days (got new air bags on mine) and it had the manual lid.

Even with having to keep the flat surface super clean, I still MUCH prefer the air lid on my trailer.

I’ve polled most of our drivers (we have about 25). Most prefer the air lid. Some don’t care one way or the other. I did run across one that prefers the manual lid.

10. Frank Speak

May 3, 2016
    UPDATE 2:

I’ve changed my opinion a little on the air hatch. I still like it, but I think I’ve found a better option.

I’ve started loading at a new place and my truck (Pete 379) won’t fit on the scale with the center hatch under the spout so they have me open the front hatch Instead.

The front hatch is manual and has never been touched. It’s bone dry, no one has ever sprayed or applied grease, lubricators, etc... to the hinges.

It works FLAWLESS! I’ve loaded probably 25 loads in it. They don’t have a wash rack either so none of that. Just load and go and let the wind blow off any risidual.

Bottom line, if I owned my rig, I would just stick with the manual hatch, but would NEVER put anything on it nor go through a wash rack. Just keep that thing bone dry.

In fact, I’m going to ask the boss man if I can have my manual hatch back.

That said, if you have bad knees, hate climbing up the gantry, etc... the air hatch is a good option. Like I said, I like the air hatch. But you still have to clean that thing about once every other week or so because it gets guncked up and won’t close all the way if you don’t.

I don’t really know why it keeps doing it because I quit running it through wash racks thinking it would quit getting buildup, but it still does.

One trick I did learn was once you’re empty, leave your pressure on 5 and release the pressure valve on the air hatch instead of the blow down. That way it’ll blow a lot of crap out from under the hatch.

speedyk and REO6205 Thank this.
  11. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Had coworkers at dry bulk place who sprayed wd40 on everything. I wasn't one of them. All I needed was a cheap claw hammer and the patience to fit things carefully and not drop lids and fittings. And spare hoses when lazy drivers ovaled the site hose end.

RockinChair and Frank Speak Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.